× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ and 3TB HDD

z0mb13
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ and 3TB HDD

Hello,
I'm trying to find information about the possibility to use 3TB hdd with the NV+ NAS device.
In detail if the hdd Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3 TB it's compatible.

Thank you so much for any reply :wink:
Regards
Max
Message 1 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ and 3TB HDD

The NV+ (v1 - silver chassis, runs RAIDiator 4.1.x or earlier) supports disks of up to 2TB in capacity

The NV+ v2 (charcoal chassis, runs RAIDiator 5.3.x) supports some 3TB disks.

See the HCL (choose Legacy and then select the NV+ or NV+ v2 depending on which model you have).
Message 2 of 17
z0mb13
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your fast reply!
Message 3 of 17
jsdeprey
Aspirant

Why does the NV+ not support drives over 2TB? I was really hoping eventually a firmware update would keep letting me add bigger and bigger drive to this NAS. I need nothing else out of my NAS at this time other than more space.

Thanks.
Message 4 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is no GPT support. The product is EOL (End of Life) and 2TB drives will continue to be available for a long time.

Any possible future firmware updates will likely only be for things like fixing security issues and browser compatibility and other bug fixes.
Message 5 of 17
jsdeprey
Aspirant

Well that's a shame really, I see no reason to have to keep buying new hardware to just add software support for bigger hard drives, this is a good reason to just build a Linux box in a raid configuration myself if you can not just add simple larger hard drive support to help out your customers.
Remind me not to buy Netgear products again.
Message 6 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's possible the hardware may not be compatible with GPT (Sparc models were first released in 2004), 3rd party Linux development for the platform stopped a long time before GPT was needed. There are a number of factors.

Any of the models on other hardware platforms support 3TB drives. For example the now discontinued NVX/Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro originally used MBR but 4.2.16+ converts the MBR partitions to GPT.
Message 7 of 17
izidorvindis
Aspirant

I have ReadyNas NV+. First I bought Seagate Baracuda 4TB disc and end up with only 1.6TB size for Volume C. Then I read X-RAID nice features and bought another Seagte 4TB disc. I added it and wait that they "synhronize". And also this end up with only 1.6TB size for Volum C. I have inside 8TB, and only 1.6 TB is available. Is this a joke ? I shutdown and reboot the NAS several times and situation did not change. Then I install addon called forced expansion and what was written in the log "Successfully enabled forced expansion. The next attempted expansion or the next reboot will reflect this change." Of course I did reboot and hoped for the best, but again only 1.6TB available. :rofl: Of course I don't have any idea what is meant by "next attempted expansion" since in the web interface there is no option to access this process (e.g. to start/stop, monitor), so I assume that it should start during reboot. And further, with all this raidar and web nonsense interfaces there is no way to check or see if something is actually going on regarding running forced expansion. I can wait if the process takes time, but I have to see if the process is performing at all ... and when approx. it will end. I am slowly tired of this NAS, will simply take out this 8TB discs and used them in PC that I will change into NAS ...
does anybody have some advice or idea what is wrong and what I should do ?? before throwing away this NAS ??
Message 8 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is this a NV+ (v1 - silver chassis, runs RAIDiator 4.1.x or earlier)? The NV+ v1 can only handle drives with capacity up to 2TB. Adding a second drive would add redundancy not lead to expansion. When a third drive is added the volume would expand.

The NV+ (v1) hardware is an evolutionary improvement over a product released in February 2006.
Message 9 of 17
izidorvindis
Aspirant

NetGear RND4000-100EUS / http://countriesse.netgear.com/Products/Storage/StorageWorkandPlay/RND4000.aspx?detail=Specifications. I don't think this could be a problem,since the manufacturer doesn't talk anything about disc capacity limitations, and that they are capable upto 16 TB.
Message 10 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well there is no GPT support as I have already mentioned so disks with greater capacity than 2TB are not compatible
Message 11 of 17
izidorvindis
Aspirant

Then it is time so sue the Netgear since they are selling something and saying how you can increase capacity with no problems, and when you buy this, i get info on the forum, that it can't handle even small disc like 2 TB ...
Message 12 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

2TB disks are compatible. Greater capacity are not. After several years it is not surprising that eventually an expansion limitation has been hit
Message 13 of 17
izidorvindis
Aspirant

Well, I am going to take out this discs and Netgear goes into tresh ...
Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Probably worth selling, since it still works.
Message 15 of 17
jsdeprey
Aspirant

If its a actual hardware limitation that's one thing, but if they refuse to just to add the ability to recognize bigger hard drives to new firmware releases that pretty sad.
Many of my PC's have had the issue where its a simple Bios update that adds the ability for the system to just see the new sized drives.
I will not buy a new NAS simply because they refuse to add support for bigger drives to a NAS that works fine right now its just needs more space.
Message 16 of 17
theSaj
Aspirant

Quit the belly aching

The NV was first released by Infrant. I know, I bought one in 2006. And it wasn't a new model then. You are complaining that a nearly 10 year old system will not use the latest and greatest hard drives...

Really???

And we should sue Netgear because they didn't know that 3TB hard drives would be incompatible. Heck, 1TB hard drives were not available when this unit was released.

I think it's actually a testament that you can upgrade it to 2TB. Kudos to ReadyNAS.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements