× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer resync stuck at 58.6%

Greg_Staten
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer resync stuck at 58.6%

I have a Pro Pioneer that I use as a home media and backup server. Last week the performance fell into a deep ditch and I'm struggling/concerned to bring things back to normal.

Ten days ago the weekly consistency check started but I never received a completion email as normally comes a few hours later. I checked the server and it has been doing a resync since the consistency check it is doing a resync and is stuck at 58.6%. I've done all the typical things including reboot with volume scan (twice), reboot with repair permissions, and so on.

I have 11 TB of data on the server and definitely do not want to lose anything. Currently there are directories that I cannot enter via Windows Explorer.

Any suggestions on things I should do?

Thanks,
-greg
Message 1 of 8
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer resync stuck at 58.6%

Did you get any notifications on drive failures? Might as well run disk diagnostic tools like seatools or WD Lifeguard.
Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Along the same line - go into "health" in frontview and look at the SMART stats for each disk.
Message 3 of 8
Greg_Staten
Tutor

I did not get any drive failure notifications, but I forgot to check SMART stats. I'll do that this evening when I get home and report back.
Message 4 of 8
Greg_Staten
Tutor

Well, I can't provide the SMART stats because when I press on the Health link in frontview the server never responds and the browser times out. I've tried both Chrome and IE on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

Never ran drive diagnostics on the server. I have WD drives so I presume it would be WD Lifeguard. I can't run that except on a natively-connected drive, right? Does this mean I pull each drive off the server and test with Lifeguard? What risk/interactions should I be aware of? I have six drives formatted as X-RAID2.

Thanks,
-greg
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running? You can also see the health if you download the logs.

You might also try IE in "compatibility mode".

Lifeguard tests are non destructive (some advanced tests are destructive but they warn you before they proceed). You'll want the NAS shutdown when you remove drives. Windows won't mount the drives, but lifeguard will see them.
Message 6 of 8
Nhellie
Virtuoso

see if you can also download the logs for the NAS, you'll get some information there if the frontview does not respond properly.
Message 7 of 8
Greg_Staten
Tutor

Sorry. Meant to mention that. I"m running RAIDiator 4.2.26. I tried to download the logs but unfortunately that timed out as well, as did shutting trying to shut the server down. So, in preparation for the drive testing I force shut down the server using the power button.

My wife then asked me to do a backup of some photos before pulling and testing drives so I powered it back up and shortly thereafter the server sent me two emails. The first told me that a firmware update to 4.2.27 had successfully completed (which I had initiated at the beginning of this week to see if a firmware update would reset the state enough to get past the resync sticking) and the second informed me that it had identified and fixed a drive error.

Suddenly the server was back up and running again at full performance. Frontpage which had been slow to display now pops up instantly again and I can now pull drive health and logs, which also come up instantly. Drive 5 is reporting three ATA errors and UDMA CRC errors so I suspect it needs replacing. I'll go pick up a spare today.

Still somewhat mysterious that it came back online, but at least I now know we have a drive issue that I can correct.

Thanks!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements