× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RND2110 corrupt root

simca
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RND2110 corrupt root

Hi,

I'm a bit confused on which ReadyNAS model I actually have. I understand the labeling is not always reflecting the actual model. My unit is labeled ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel (below the disk tray). On the bottom it is labeled ReadyNAS Duo RND2110 v2, and there is another sticker on firmware version: FW:V4.1.6

I had this unit for some years, and I think the f/w was upgraded to a slightly newer version a couple of years ago. This is probably the most recent version of today.

Well, here is the problem. Although I upgraded my main storage to a newer NAS, I want to continue using the RND2110 as a secondary backup source. But when trying to peform a factory reset and OS reinstall I'm stuck into "corrupt root" issues. I started out with two fresh (used, although wiped) 2TB WD20EFRX disks. These disks have acutally been used in the RND2110 earlier. However they have been temporary switched and reformatted to be used in the new NAS. After that I removed any partitions (using Windows disk manager) and inserted them back into the RND2110.

What has been tried:
1. Boot the RND2110 to factory default by holding the reset button until the disk LEDs light up for the second time. Then release the reset button. The RND2110 is now visible in RAIDar. When I click "Setup" and choose disk configuration the installation process apparently starts. But after a few minutes the process halts with a "corrupt root" message. I have repeated this process several times without success.

2. Creating an USB recovery disk. Here, it is a bit diverse instructions on how to properly do this. There are somewhat different procedures among forums. If this is the way to go, I would really appreciate a precise step by step advise on how to do. Anyhow, I tried to create this USB recovery image and booted the RND2110 into USB recovery mode. Again, the RND2110 shows up in RAIDar. But now, the status changes to "TFTP_REQ" after a while and apparently halts.

I would really appreciate some guidance !

Thank You!

Regards

SimCa

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RND2110 corrupt root

@simca wrote:

I'm a bit confused on which ReadyNAS model I actually have. I understand the labeling is not always reflecting the actual model. My unit is labeled ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel (below the disk tray). On the bottom it is labeled ReadyNAS Duo RND2110 v2, and there is another sticker on firmware version: FW:V4.1.6

You have the original Duo (called a v1 here).  It runs 4.1.x firmware, the v2 runs 5.3.x firmware.  Also, the original Duo says "ReadyNAS Duo" on the front panel.  The v2 says "ReadyNAS Duo v2" on the front panel.

The final firmware for your NAS is 4.1.16: https://kb.netgear.com/000038792/RAIDiator-Version-4-1-16-Sparc

FWIW, I also have this model, and am still using it as a secondary backup.

@simca wrote:

Anyhow, I tried to create this USB recovery image and booted the RND2110 into USB recovery mode.

Never do that when you aren't certain about the model.

@simca wrote:

Well, here is the problem. Although I upgraded my main storage to a newer NAS, I want to continue using the RND2110 as a secondary backup source. But when trying to peform a factory reset and OS reinstall I'm stuck into "corrupt root" issues.

Start by booting up the NAS with no disks.  RAIDar should detect a "no disks" status (and not corrupt root).  Either version (4.3.8 or 6.5) of RAIDar should work for this.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads.  If you don't see a "no disk" status, then report back on what you do see.

The simplest way to avoid the corrupt root problem is to unformat the disks.  Then the NAS will automatically do a factory install when you power it up with the disks in place.

You can do that in Windows by going to the disk manager, selecting each "volume" for the disk, and deleting it.  But I'd suggest instead using the vendor tools (lifeguard for western digital, seatools for seagate), and testing the disks while you are at it.  Run the long generic test first, and follow that up with the full write zeros test (which might be called "erase", depending on which tool you are using).  With seatools, it is an "advanced" test, and you need to jump through a couple of hoops to enable it.

The disk can be connected to the PC either with a USB adapter/dock or via SATA.

Message 2 of 18
simca
Aspirant

Hi!

Thanks a lot for the advise.

Sadly that didn't work out. I followed your guidance, starting out with powering the RND without disks. As you correctly pointed out, RAIDar reported "no disks installed".

Next, I executed a full erase from WD's Lifeguard disk tool. It took some hours to complete. I only did this for one disk to start with. I then inserted this newly erased disk into the RND and powered up (only one disk installed at this time). RAIDar reported "Installing" and everything looked promising for a few minutes. But again, the RND halted and status changed to "corrupt root". 

Could it be a corrupted f/w on the chassis itself, and is there any chance to recover this?

Message 3 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, that probably means the copy of the OS on the internal flash which the NAS installs on the hard drive is corrupt.  When you boot without drives, that's not the OS that's running; it's a much more lean one.  USB recovery should fix that unless the internal flash is defective.  But USB recovery is finicky about the USB device.  Definately no USB3, and I recommend 8GB or smaller, though I have seen somebody post that they got it to work with a 32GB one on an OS6 system.  Older/slower tends to be better in this case.  And having one with an activity LED helps, as you can see whether it looks to be accessed long enough or not.

Message 4 of 18
simca
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

Regarding USB revovery: I have a 2 GB USB 2.0 dongle with activity LED. I think this should be ok.

But what I really woould appreciate is a specific guidance on the steps to perform USB recovery. I believe I had the final f/w version (4.1.16) installed on the RDN2110 before the failure. 
A step-by-step guidance for this exact model would be much appreciated!

Message 5 of 18
simca
Aspirant

I suppose this is the way for entering USB boot mode on the RND2110

USB bootPress the Power button and continue to hold it for 20 seconds. Release after all Disk LEDs flash 4 times.

But how to create a proper USB boot media?

Message 6 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@simca wrote:

But how to create a proper USB boot media?

There is a guide here: https://kb.netgear.com/21400/RAIDiator-4-1-USB-Recovery-Tool

Message 7 of 18
simca
Aspirant

Thank you for the effort.

Performed USB flash according to instructions (f/w version 4.1.16).  After that, booted the ReadyNAS with the newly erased disk inserted. RAIDar reports "Installing", but I could not observe activity on the disk LED's. After some minutes RAIDar status changes to "Bad disks".

Next, I tried to do a factory reset by holding the reset button until disk LED's flash 4 times. Now it's back to initial problem: RAIDar instructs to click "Setup" and select a disk configuration (I choose FlexRAID). Then the installation process apparently starts (althoug no activity on the disk LEDs). After a few minutes "Corrupt root" and system halted.
Is there any hope?

Message 8 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@simca wrote:

Is there any hope?

Obviously it doesn't look good.  It's possible that the internal flash is failing.

You could try a second usb recovery (perhaps using a different thumb drive).

Message 9 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Did the USB recovery end with the unit shutting down?  If not, it didn't complete properly and trying again may help.  If it did, the internal flash is probably defective.

Message 10 of 18
simca
Aspirant

Hi,
No, it did not shut down. Fan speed slowed after approx 2 mins. No activity observed on usb led after that. Anyone who knows how long the process is supposed to take?
Message 11 of 18
mdgm
Virtuoso

Did you check the health of the disk using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and did it pass?

It is also possible to try writing to the internal flash using tech support mode if you can boot into that.

It's possible, however that there may be too many bad blocks on the internal flash to successfully write the firmware to the internal flash.

Apart from the internal flash, other possibiltiies would be bad disks or bad/failing RAM.

Message 12 of 18
simca
Aspirant

Yes, disk checked and passed Lifeguard test w/o any errors.

It seems I am able to enter TFTP boot mode. But I´m not sure how to do this. Do I need to set up a TFTP server on a computer on the same LAN? Any advise?

If the internal flash is broken, it obviously gets a bit tricky to deal with this. If it is the RAM that could always be replaced. I believe the ReadyNAS has a removeable 256 MB module (SDRAM, DDR....?? not sure of the type yet since chassis has not been opened yet)

Message 13 of 18
simca
Aspirant

Booted into TechSupport mode. Anyone who knows the login details (it's not admin/netgear1) ?

Message 14 of 18
simca
Aspirant

Got it! username: root. password: infr8ntdebug
What should be checked? 

Not much to find in /var/log

Message 15 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@simca wrote:

Got it! username: root. password: infr8ntdebug
What should be checked? 

You're not running the normal OS.  I've never tried to write flash from tech support mode, though I believe @mdgm and @Sandshark have.

Message 16 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Just so you don't wait for a reply from me, I've not done it.

Message 17 of 18
simca
Aspirant

Ok,
After several attempts and too much time spent on this retired chassis the solution was to simply buy a used ReadyNAS Duo (v2) for about 20$. Thanks a lot to all of you for your effort!

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements