× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RND4000 Move HDD into another Identical Unit

kellydanielc
Follower

ReadyNAS RND4000 Move HDD into another Identical Unit

HI,

I can see some similar posts but I just want to conifrm a couple of things with my ReadyNAS.

I have a RND4000 that has died (aka wont power on) and I also have an exact same version that works fine.

The new one has the latest version of Raidiator 4.1.16 but Im not sure if the dead unit has the same version.

Can I simply just moved the drives into the new unit and everything will still be the same?  There is some critical data that I dont want to lose so I am just after conifrmation before I insert the drives into the unit.

THanks,

Daniel.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS RND4000 Move HDD into another Identical Unit

So your backup is not up to date? Critical data should never be stored on just the one device.

Assuming the disks and what’s on them are fine then yes moving the disks across should work fine. Keep the disk order the same and make sure the disks from the dead NAS are the only disks in the NAS.

RAIDiator 4.1.16 is firmware for the NV+ (v1). Both units must be v1s (silver chassis with internal PSU) but presumably that’s the case. You can’t migrate disks from the v1 to the v2 or vice versa.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RND4000 Move HDD into another Identical Unit

@kellydanielc wrote:

The new one has the latest version of Raidiator 4.1.16 but Im not sure if the dead unit has the same version.

Can I simply just moved the drives into the new unit and everything will still be the same?  

You can just move the drives to the new unit (powered down), preserving slot order if you can. 

If there is older software installed on the disks, then the system will update them to 4.1.16 on the first boot.

If the array wasn't damaged in some way when the old NAS failed, then the data should remain intact.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements