× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 4

isaacl
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 4

Hi,
I have an Ultra 4 Nas. I want to change the hard drives to ST2000DL00​3 (green 5900rpm but I have only 3 of them. If I add a ST2000DM001 (7200rpm) would and work and what would happen. Would it be forced down to 5900?

Thanks
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 4

It will run at its normal speed, but the performance of the overall array will be limited by the slower drives.

The ST2000VN000 might be a better choice though.
Message 2 of 9
fastfwd
Virtuoso

isaacl wrote:
Hi,
I have an Ultra 4 Nas. I want to change the hard drives to ST2000DL00​3 (green 5900rpm but I have only 3 of them. If I add a ST2000DM001 (7200rpm) would and work and what would happen. Would it be forced down to 5900?

Thanks

You can safely mix drives with different spindle speeds; there is no compatibility problem, and the fast drive will run just as fast as it always does.

However, those ST2000DL003 drives MUST have firmware revision CC3D or newer; if they have earlier firmware, they will fail whether or not there's an ST2000DM001 in the array. See this thread: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=63698. Also, you should check your ST2000DM001's firmware revision and make sure it's CC4H or newer.
Message 3 of 9
isaacl
Aspirant

Thanks all, Im going to go with the ST2000VN000 as it matches the other HD speed. Now will I notice much of a difference between the 5900 / 7200?
Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I don't believe you will see any difference in speed. If you had gone with 4 7200 RPM drives you might have noticed some difference with small files or database performance, but not with large file access (as even the 5900 rpm drive has higher throughput than a gigabit network can carry).

What you might have noticed is that the ST2000VN000 runs cooler/quieter.

Personally I think the ST2000VN000 was the best choice of the three drive models, but your reason for choosing it was flawed. For me there are two more compelling reasons:
-If the ST2000VN000 fails, Seagate will have to replace it with another NAS-rated drive - which is not case for the ST2000DL003 or ST2000DM001. With the desktop drives, they will replace them with any model they think is comparable, without taking the NAS use into consideration.

-The ST2000VN000 has a 3 year warranty, Seagate desktop drives have a 1 year warranty.

If any of the ST2000DL003 fail later on, I suggest replacing them with either ST2000VN000 or WDC WD20EFRX.
Message 5 of 9
isaacl
Aspirant

Thanks for the infomation. I only really started fixing up my computer network to what I think it should be. Changing raid 0 & 5 to Raid 1 & 10 etc. The information about the replacement of the drives is very useful and I hope that I will change the drives before anything happends (Touch wood)
Message 6 of 9
scootle
Aspirant

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I have an old(er) ReadyNAS NV (old school) and ReadyNAS Ultra4+ (my primary NAS currently, with 4x ST2000DL003 onboard under warranty until 2015)... and I'm considering replacing all the drives with NAS-rated drives to avoid the RMA rigmarole I seem to endure annually when one (or more) of my drives inevitably fails on me. I'm looking at the ST2000VN000 for $100/ea via Amazon.com as a leading candidate, or possibly just upgrading to 4TB drives instead, if they are compatible...

I noticed Netgear is not at all on the list of hardware vendors for Seagate-supported NAS compatibility... is there a reason for this omission? I checked the Netgear HCL and the new(er) Seagate drives do not appear there either.

This disconnect is a little worrisome should we desire any measure of "official" support from either vendor... any thoughts/advice?

Thanks.
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The ReadyNAS HCL are seriously out of date, but are still enforced by Netgear support.

The Seagate NAS drives aren't on the either HCL, but the WDC Red drives (up to 3 TB) are on the ultra 4+ HCL.
Message 8 of 9
scootle
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
The ReadyNAS HCL are seriously out of date, but are still enforced by Netgear support.

The Seagate NAS drives aren't on the either HCL, but the WDC Red drives (up to 3 TB) are on the ultra 4+ HCL.

I was afraid of that, but I guess maybe I'll have to jump ship on branding and go (back) to WD and see what happens. Despite the routine involved, I will say Seagate has been good about RMA response on all the failed drives I've sent them back on warranty over the years, for better or worse.

Likewise, Netgear Support surprised me with a painless shipment of a new PSU for my ancient Infrant ReadyNAS NV, under the auspices of the legacy PSU service advisory, when the prior one failed after many years of service (since 2007). 🙂

Thanks.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements