× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 1500 Corrupt Root

shaunyp
Aspirant

Readynas 1500 Corrupt Root

We were gifted a ReadyNas 1500 which are trying to get up and running. We have bought 4 x WD red 3TB drives and installed. The Nas has a DHCP address which I can ping and can see on RAIDar, however I cannot connect to it via its IP nor can I get it to reset to factory defaults. Each time I try, it checks all the disks (no problems) and then once I get past the setup (choose raid setup) it starts by installing then I get corrupt root. Have tried os install, checked disks via data lifeguard, nothing seems to work. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions as I have tried all previous thread suggestions. thanks in advance

Model: RNRX400 (ReadyNAS 1500)|ReadyNAS 1500 NETWORK STORAGE-DISKLESS
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 1500 Corrupt Root

I suggest trying Lifeguard again, and use the full erase test.  That can sometimes pick up issues that the non-destructive test misses.

You can try that with just one drive (leaving the other slots empty).  When you power up the NAS with a zeroed drive, it should do a factory install automatically (using XRAID).  It will come up pretty quickly, since there is no RAID sync involved.

If that works, you can then hot-insert the remaining drives one at a time - waiting for resync and expansion to complete before moving on to the next.

Message 2 of 5
shaunyp
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, I will give it a go and let you know. I had hoped that as the drives were new they shouldn't cause an issue but it would seem, looking at some older posts with similar problems that you can never tell.

Message 3 of 5
shaunyp
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, unfortunately full erase crashed after about 15 hours, however I zeroed a 120gb ssd and slotted it in and hey presto it worked. Now added remaining drives and all being raided so good news.

Thanks for your suggestion

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@shaunyp wrote:

Thanks Stephen, unfortunately full erase crashed after about 15 hours,

That could mean the disk is defective, so it might be worth following up on.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements