× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas RN314 Degraded problem

greenroome
Aspirant

Readynas RN314 Degraded problem

Hello i have a READYNAS RN314 "DEGRADED" message that i need help with.

I looked online but cannot seem to find what to do about this so hopefully someone can help..

Any help is much appreciated!

_______

Readynas RN314

RAID5

4 hard drives 2 x 4TB, 2x6TB

Data is Degraded warning.

Have had a warning for a while but seemingly no evidence of any issue with data loss or access to this. 

I did not know which drive there was a problem with or how to deal with this? Where can i find this information?

----

On the weekend the system froze. 

SO have now rebooted. 

It appears Disk 3 initially showed up as spare in teh Overview diagram, and coloured grey, all other 3 coloured green. 

After a few minutes, all drives (including disk 3) went green in the Overview diagram

Now am getting a message:

"Disk in channel 3 (internal state from ONLINE to RESYNC"

In Overview Status:Degraded Volume is resyncing

There are various messages in logs saying its been degraded.  But i can never find where it tells me which is the problem drive.  And how to resolve this issue?

Some questeions I had:

1 Where can I see what drive is failing? and why?

2 Can i just power off, remove drive 3 (assuming thats actually the problem/failing drive) insert a new clean drive and it will hopefully fix this issue after a resync?

3 any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Model: RN31441D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas RN314 Degraded problem

@greenroome

Welcome to the Community!

To answer your questions

1 Where can I see what drive is failing? and why?

You can always check it from your logs, either by checking it on the Admin page or downloading the full logs and looking at the following:

- disk_info.log (This will show you the drives connected to your NAS and the details like Disk information, where the disk is inserted and errors)

- smart_history.log (This is almost the same with disk_info.log but logs mostly are the S.M.A.R.T info)

- status.log (This will let you check all the errors or activity your NAS has reported e.g. disk failures, backups started, etc)

2 Can i just power off, remove drive 3 (assuming thats actually the problem/failing drive) insert a new clean drive and it will hopefully fix this issue after a resync?

- You can do Hot swap when replacing a failed drive, hot swap lets you replace a disk without turning off the NAS, it should resync right after detecting the disk you inserted.

3 any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?

- It is best to identify the failing disk and replace it with a healthy one. RAID5 lets you lose 1 drive but getting another drive to fail will lose all your data.

Looking on the information you provided, Channel 3 would be the 4th disk, channel 0 would be the first disk from the left. So you can say Channel 0 is Disk 1 and Channel 3 would be Disk 4.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 8
greenroome
Aspirant

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.

I had a look at the logs but they dont record any errors.  I cant seem to find where it tells me this drive failed. Other than the diagram on teh overview page, and after it failed to resync...(see below)

----

I note you are saying the referencing goes Channel 0 = 1st on left, and Channel 3 = last on right.

However the message i got now is:

Disk in channel 3 (internal) changed state from RESYNC to FAILED

In the diagram disk 3 of 4 ie 3rd from left is highlighted as teh problem drive (not last disk as suggested in your post).

Also the third one light was flashing on and off, while others are constant green.  So figured its that one. 

So i removed the drive, to see if its still under warranty and check.  Turns out it isnt by a few months.! Pretty annoying.  WD Nas Red 6TB!

Logs now say the disk was removed from Channel 3 of the head unit

Have ordered a new drive.

Can i just insert once received and it will format and resync data automatically?

Or do i need to format?

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@greenroome

Thank you for the information you provided. It seems that the GUI is showing the disk bays as channels 1 to 4 instead of the one I mentioned (Channels 0 to 3). My apologies for the mix up but it's still good that the failed drive was removed and will be replaced.

Yes you can insert the drive once you have it and it should automatically resync with the array. The formatting will only be done if it's a used disk or previously formatted drive.

HTH

Regards

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

Yes you can insert the drive once you have it and it should automatically resync with the array. The formatting will only be done if it's a used disk or previously formatted drive.

Yes, it's best not to format it.

I do recommend

• testing the drive in a Windows PC (with lifeguard or seatools) before you hot-insert it.  I run both the extended test and the destructive "erase disk" (or "write zeros") test myself.
  • Backing up your data!  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe - so you should have a backup plan in place anyway.  But your data is more vulnerable than usual when the array is degraded - and it's most vulnerable when you are adding a new disk.
  • Using a NAS-purposed or enterprise class disk.  Personally I use NAS-purposed - but if you have 7200 rpm drives in now, it might be better to go with enterprise-class.

Also there are some maintenance tasks that you can run on demand or schedule on the volume tab.  These include a disk test.  Personally I run each of those tasks once every three months on my own NAS - one reason is that can give me earlier warning that a disk is starting to fail.

Message 5 of 8
greenroome
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies, yes we have a backup. 

Regarding testing is there a way to auto schedule these disk tests from teh volume tab - it seems to just do it on clicking?

Is it better to insert the new drive when the nas is powered down, or insert when power is on, or does it not matter?  Many thanks

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Scheduled testing is enabled under the "Volume Schedule" options.  I always recommend hot insertion of new drives (and hot removal if replacing one), as one can then see in the log that the NAS recognized the action.

Message 7 of 8
greenroome
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for all your help, new drive inserted (hot swapped in) and all working fine now. 

Degraded messages no longer showing up.

Have turned on "Disk Test" in "Action" under Volume Schedule, and set to a weekly test.  Hopefully that will give me an early warning next time. Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements