× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas - Showing Files as Folders

ADodd
Aspirant

Readynas - Showing Files as Folders

Hi Guys

I have a Readynas 104.  Turned it on today to look at some of my legacy pictures.  Atfer drilling down to the correct folder I found all the JPG files listed as folders rather than actual files.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas - Showing Files as Folders

Looking at them with what?  Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, the NAS HTTP GUI, ReadyCloud?  Is this a recent change?  How did the files get onto the NAS in the first place?

Message 2 of 8
ADodd
Aspirant

Hi Guys

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was viewing in windows file explorer and seeing the files as folders.

As it happens I also checked on my MacBook and it did the same through Finder.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

So, I assume via SMB.  And my other questions?  I'm trying to figure out if they were ever right, or if this might be the fault of whatever put them there.

Are you comfortable with SSH access to the NAS?  It would be good to go there and see what it shows.  But if you aren't, then at least looking at them with the NAS GUI could add information.

Message 4 of 8
ADodd
Aspirant

Hi SandShark

I'm happy to go there (SSH), my Unix/Linux days have long since gone but I am willing to give it a go.

I remember being able to change the object attributes to change from a file to finder or to an exe but I can't remember the command line etc.

The files were originally place from a windows desktop PC using ordinary "Windows File Explorer".

Although in have a Mac I know the transfer was done on wildows.

Anthony

Model: RN10441D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Desktop)
Message 5 of 8
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

From SSH you could dive down into the same folder via:

cd /data/yoursharename/path/to/files

Once in the correct path, you can use ls -lh to see that is shows. If the file/folder start with a "d" then it is a directory and if it start with a "-" then it is a file. Like here on my NAS, for example:

-rwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 483K Oct  8  2017 Wallpaper.jpg  <<<=== File
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 1.5K Oct 24  2019 myfolder <<<=== Folder

Message 6 of 8
ADodd
Aspirant

Sorry for delay in replying, been busy withan office move.

I understand the SSH attrib bit but how do I get to that point and with what software tool?

Sorry for being a bit slow.

Anthony

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Enable ssh on the NAS in system->settings->services.

Then if you are running Windows 10, enter ssh root@nas-ip-address into the windows search bar (using the real NAS IP address of course).  Then enter the NAS admin password when you get a password prompt.

The first time you do this, you will need to confirm that you want trust the fingerprint before you get the login prompt.

If you aren't running Windows 10, you can also use a tool called putty - found here: https://www.putty.org/

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements