× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reinstalling JBOD drives in New Readynas

Benardos
Aspirant

Reinstalling JBOD drives in New Readynas

Hello All,

I had my Readynas configured as 2 x drives in Raid 1 (Master Positions 1 and 2) then I had 2 Drives in JBOD mode ( Drives Three and Four) .  I recently replaced drives 1 and 2 and made a new Raid 1 partition, now I cant read my JBOD drives (3 and 4) that have not changed?

How do I get my JBOD partition back?

Thanks

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Reinstalling JBOD drives in New Readynas

@Benardos wrote:
2 weeks ago

That means you still have phone support.  I suggest that you use it in this case.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What ReadyNAS model do you have, and what firmware is it running?

Message 2 of 12
Benardos
Aspirant

RN31600 running lastest firmware.
Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Benardos wrote:
RN31600 running lastest firmware.

That would be 6.6.1?

Did you purchase between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016?

Message 4 of 12
Benardos
Aspirant

2 weeks ago
Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Benardos wrote:
2 weeks ago

That means you still have phone support.  I suggest that you use it in this case.

Message 6 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Booting with just the two JBOD drives should work to recover the data.  As to how to make them play well with the other volume, I don't know..

Did you, by chance, have the JBOD drives removed during the transition?  I've been runing some multi-volume experiments, and I can say for sure that that's "a bad thing".  I ended up with two arrays that would each boot but not boot together.

Message 7 of 12
Benardos
Aspirant

Thanks, I worked out that I could boot with just JBOD. Now trying to sort out how to get the data transferred to the new drives. Plan at this stage is to slowly copy data off JBOD, remove and recopy to Raid. Just a slow time consuming process.
Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I think Netgear support might have been able to remount the jbod volumes, saving you a lot of time.

@Sandshark wrote:
Did you, by chance, have the JBOD drives removed during the transition?  I've been runing some multi-volume experiments, and I can say for sure that that's "a bad thing".

Yes.  And the volume export function is (as far as I can tell) completely worthless,  I believe there is at least one idea in the exchange on allowing dismounting/remounting of volumes.

Message 9 of 12
Benardos
Aspirant

Thanks,  So my situation now is I have booted off a JBOD partiion (Disc 1 and 2) and created a JBOD on position 3 and 4.  Once the data is copied from 1/2 to 3/4, I plan to destroy 1 and 2 and create a Raid 1 partion on those drives.  If I understand correctly, I should not remove disc 3 and 4 during this process, then when I destroy 1 and 2 and create the Raid1, the JBOD (3 and 4) should be readable. I hope this works and I dont loose the data.  

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Benardos wrote:

If I understand correctly, I should not remove disc 3 and 4 during this process,...

Correct. 

The JBOD volume is a single volume that spans two drives?  If so, it is fragile - a failure of either drive will lost all the data.

Message 11 of 12
Benardos
Aspirant

Process worked, but my Home folders (Share) has now moved to the second array.  I can no longer access the apps page, nothing shows and installing apps using upload method fails.  On top of this my 1 month old Readynas has a failed Fan and roars like a Hurricane.  I have now completed the RMA and await a replacement (Kudos to Netgear Support who were very prompt in authorising the replacement.)  Hopefully installing the drives into the new unit will fix a few of these new problems.  Thanks to all participating  Greg

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements