× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV+

SimonB1
Aspirant

Re: Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV+

Thanks Dave - Yeah, we'll see what happens. I may call the Australian Netgear support number in a couple of hours too, but I dread to think where my call will end up. I just hope this doesn't take days to resolve, all my photo's are on the unit.

PS: I can't get the disks out either, they appear stuck. No amount of pressing the button will pop the lever. I had this problem when upgrading the disks a while ago, it's damned frustrating. However, will leave them as is as the instructions don't indicate I need to remove them.
Message 276 of 347
dbott67
Guide

SimonB wrote:
PS: I can't get the disks out either, they appear stuck. No amount of pressing the button will pop the lever. I had this problem when upgrading the disks a while ago, it's damned frustrating. However, will leave them as is as the instructions don't indicate I need to remove them.

viewtopic.php?p=30550#p30550
Message 277 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

I haven't been able to get the disks out for years. Luckily the trick posted above works and is not hard. A paper clip works too. I believe the NVX trays are redesigned to avoid this problem.
Message 278 of 347
SimonB1
Aspirant

dbott67 wrote:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30550#p30550

Thanks dbott67, will use if necessary - tried the paperclip trick this morning, but kept bending it 😐

Simon....
Message 279 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

You need a heftier paperclip. The little dinky ones won't do it.
Message 280 of 347
SimonB1
Aspirant

Can someone please confirm that the replacement power supply for the ReadyNAS NV+ is Rnd4psu1-10000s and that that's not just for the ReadyNAS 1000? When I google for "ReadyNAS NV+ Power Supply" in Oz, I get this listing but there's conflicting info as to whether it's for a NV+ or a 1000 series. According to NetGear, the proper part number for the NV+ was RNV2-PSU2 - is it still? I can't find any of those available in Oz via Google.

Edit: This page (http://www.excaliberpc.com/571362/infra ... power.html) indicates that these are no longer available and is a discontinued product. I've been on hold to NetGear Australia for nearly 15 mins now...

Edit #2: Want a laugh, my USA cousins? Look here (prices in Oz $$'s, which is at around US$0.92):

Sub Total $269.00
GST (inclusive) $24.45
Shipping $12.00
Handling $18.43
Grand Total $299.43

Guess what that's for... Yup, a NV+ Power Supply from the NetGear Oz store. Sheez. I can buy a NEW, empty unit for just over $700.
Thanks....
Message 281 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 282 of 347
SimonB1
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm, forgot about staticice. However, see below:

After about half an hour on hold to NetGear's Oz 1300 number, my call was answered somewhere overseas (at a guess, I would say the Philippines, but maybe it was just 2 people with a Filipino accent). After confirming my details, the first lady advised that she would transfer me to Business Support where a lovely guy named Albert answered.

Again, after checking my details and cross-checking the online Support Call I'd logged a couple of hours ago, he advised that there was a 5 year warranty on the item, that I had no free telephone support left, but that he would make this one free as it was my first call for this product. So, off to a good start. He then asked some basic questions, was happy with my diagnosis and, lo and behold, knew about the faulty batch of PSU's (I didn't mention it), checked to see if mine was subject to the fault - advised me it was and that they would therefore ship me a replacement power supply. He asked me if I knew how to replace the PSU, I told him that thanks to this forum, I was and he then advised that he was also waiving the normal RMA shipping fee as I was located in Western Australia.

So, the only downside is that I now have to wait 5-7 business days for it to arrive, but it will be at no cost to me.
I may buy one locally (not for $300 though), just in case - if I can resolve the part number issue.

So, well done NetGear - you exceeded my expectations 😛

Simon....
Message 283 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's good Simon.

There's a five year warranty on all NetGear (not Infrant) branded NV+ purchased on or after Aug 21, 2007.

If your NAS is out of warranty in some regions they'll still replace the PSU if it's in the range affected by the fault.

But yeah people can buy the PSU if there NAS is out of warranty and not in the faulty range.
Message 284 of 347
SimonB1
Aspirant

Based on the RMA email that I have just received from NetGear, it appears that the correct part number for the PSU in the NV+ is indeed: RND4PSU1-10000S - that's what they're sending me, anyway 😎

Simon....
Message 285 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

SimonB wrote:
Based on the RMA email that I have just received from NetGear, it appears that the correct part number for the PSU in the NV+ is indeed: RND4PSU1-10000S - that's what they're sending me, anyway 😎

Simon....

Yes it is correct. That's what I see on websites as advertised as a PSU for the NV/NV+.
Message 286 of 347
SimonB1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Yes it is correct. That's what I see on websites as advertised as a PSU for the NV/NV+.

Thanks mate, but do you know what? NONE of the vendors that I have checked (over a dozen) in Oz have stock - amazing. Then they're also trying to charge me something stupid like $20-$25 for shipping via parcel post. :slap:

Maybe I need to try and find a US dealer that will ship to me.
Message 287 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'd probably just use the PSU that NetGear ships to you for free.

Digital Yes appears to have stock: http://www.digitalyes.com.au/prodView.a ... duct=38001
Message 288 of 347
SimonB1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I'd probably just use the PSU that NetGear ships to you for free.

Digital Yes appears to have stock: http://www.digitalyes.com.au/prodView.a ... duct=38001

Sure, I just wanted to see if I could get up and running without having to wait for surface shipping from the USA, I would then use that one as a spare. I guess I'll just be patient :roll:

Simon...
Message 289 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If it's used for business then you may wish to buy one locally if downtime's an issue, otherwise I'd be patient.
Message 290 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

One month ago I finally got Netgear to send me a warranty replacement PSU. Or so I thought. Two weeks later, with no PSU in sight, I sent off a new support request asking where my PSU was. No direct response, but the day after I got an email from the shipping guys at Netgear stating tha my PSU had been shipped.

The shipping date was seventeen (17) days after they said they would ship me the PSU!!! :shock:

As you may recall, I bought my NV+ in the US but now live in HK. So it was sent to my friend. He received it and sent it to me. It is en route from the US to HK.

Since one month has now passed, and according to Netgear support my credit card has now charged me for the replacement PSU plus $20 for shipping. ($20!?! Seriously???) . I obviously complained about this and support said it is "out of their hands" and I can receive a refund when Netgear have my old PSU in hand.

Now, don't get me wrong. I think one month is a fine grace period for shipping to me, installation and return. But what use is that if they take 2½ weeks just to send me the part?!? :roll:

Out of curiosity, how much is the PSU if I don't return it?
Message 291 of 347
SimonB1
Aspirant

Starlionblue, sorry to hear about your story. Mine's almost the opposite - I got the replacement PSU yesterday (well, I missed the postie, so collected it this morning) and it's in the NAS now and the NAS is doing a File System check (fair enough). So, I expect all to be good in a half hour or so.

You can see the prices I put just above for a new PSU in Oz, they're a bit (a lot) cheaper in the US.

Simon....
Message 292 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

SimonB wrote:

You can see the prices I put just above for a new PSU in Oz, they're a bit (a lot) cheaper in the US.

Simon, I did give you a link so you could find places to buy the PSU at below RRP in Oz. We have higher prices for a lot of things down here compared with the US. It's annoying, I know. in
Message 293 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

Whooo! Got my PSU today. Despite the barely legible "copied 1000 times" instructions, it was quite straightforward. Gave the inside a sorely needed compressed air clean as well.

The new unit certainly looks less "cobbled together in Steve Wozniak's garage" compared to the old one. :lol:
Message 294 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Starlionblue wrote:
the barely legible "copied 1000 times" instructions

You can download them off the web too (too late for you but may help others). See faq.php#How_do_I_replace_the_stock_power_supply_on_the_ReadyNas_NV%2FNV%2B%3F
Message 295 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

Thanks. I was about to go on the web. Then I realized that it was very simple really. Nicely designed product.
Message 296 of 347
SimonB1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Simon, I did give you a link so you could find places to buy the PSU at below RRP in Oz. We have higher prices for a lot of things down here compared with the US. It's annoying, I know. in

mdgm, wasn't disputing that you assisted me mate, appreciated. Even the 'discounted' prices (when they actually appeared to have stock) were more than the US. I know the reasons given, but they don't always ring true.

Anyway, all sorted - at no cost to me. So, thanks NetGear US and NetGear Oz (who shipped it to me), credit where credit's due.

Simon....
Message 297 of 347
sch1
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ that falls into the serial number range, and the PSU is emitting a burning smell. Where do I start in getting a replacement? (I applied the add-on to up the fan speed when it first came out.) Thanks!
Message 298 of 347
dbott67
Guide

Call support. Numbers are in my signature.
Message 299 of 347
sch1
Aspirant

Just wanted to report back my experience. It's a bit of a long story, but it does have a happy ending.

I called Netgear Support (1-888-NETGEAR), and told them that I have an NV+ that falls into the range and emitted a burning smell, they offered to send me a replacement chassis with RMA. I chose the advance option where I paid about $20 for them to ship the replacement unit to me first (took about a week), then I would use the same box and pre-printed label that was included to send my old unit back. The replacement unit is not necessarily new though, could be a refurbished unit. I should have been able to just reinsert my drives into the new chassis and get going again, at least I thought so. I made sure I plugged the drives in the same slots as they were originally.

It was supposed to be that easy, but the replacement unit that they sent was worse than my unit. It started to boot, then shut down right away, and also emitted burning smell. I called Netgear back, and after some checks, they wanted to send me another replacement, but this time with shipping charges waived. The second unit came, looked better, but when I plugged the drives in, it would not go past "booting". I called Support again, and one idea that they had was that this unit may need a firmware upgrade. My drives/old unit have already been upgraded to 4.1.6, but this new replacement was still at old 3.* firmware, which couldn't boot with my drives. You can either build an usb flash drive to boot and upgrade the chassis firmware to 4.1.6, or (what I did) insert a single spare drive into the unit (won't boot without any drives), get it set up, and upgrade to 4.1.6 using online download. After I upgraded the firmware, I plugged in the drives, and it booted ok. I was much relieved. I then sent my old unit and the first replacement back to Netgear.

By the way, thank you to all the forum members who posted helpful hints and experiences.

sch
Message 300 of 347
Top Contributors
Announcements