× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV+

kcgr1
Aspirant

Re: Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV+

Add another victim to the dead PS brigade. I called the help line and after being bounced around a bit, I talked to some one who knew of the bad serial number range (that I was in). To Netgear's credit, they shipped out a new PS. The little fuss I had was that I think the PS sat in the warehouse and they forgot to ship it. A followup phone call got it shipped out overnight. Anyhow, my unit is back in action and my wife is happy she can get to her cad files. It also looks like my plan of having a USB backup drive for the NAS is now on the front burner. Thank you, Netgear!!!
Message 226 of 347
ixian
Aspirant

Can anyone tell me what I can do hear? My ReadyNAS NV (not the plus) from 2006's PSU appears to have died - it won't power on at all, not even for a moment (I don't have the auto-power addon installed).

I called ReadyNAS/Netgear support (I'm in the US) and appear to have gotten an Indian call center. I don't mean to be rude or play in to stereotypes about Indian Call centers but these guys were of no help at all. They kept telling me I could buy a power supply at the store (what?) or from them. They also couldn't tell me the part number of the PSU after I gave them the serial number and told me I needed the p/n number as well - it's at home, and this is after being on hold for 45 minutes waiting for them.

I am beyond frustrated. Can anyone suggest what to do next? My case number is 953-0485.
Message 227 of 347
tempus6
Aspirant

Oh what a pain. The Indian call center cant even find my serial number in their system. They said it needs more digits. Guess I will try email support.
Message 228 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

tempus, PM me what you have for your serial number.
Message 229 of 347
chuwright
Aspirant

Hi, my NV+ was purchased in March 2007, and has a serial number in the range. I understand the unit is out of warrenty, however can I have the PSU replaced as part of this scheme? I've tried raising a electronic service request, but the serial number isn't valid, I've also tried contacting UK support, but repeatedly get a message stating all lines are busy and to try again later. Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks...
Message 230 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

chu, PM (private message) me your serial number so I can take a look.
Message 231 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

Try doing the online registration again, but leave out the dashes/hyphens ('-'). It should work then. And the serial is in range for a PSU RMA.
Message 232 of 347
chuwright
Aspirant

Thanks I've logged a support request, hopefully it'll be picked up shortly. One question, even though the correct product was registered, fields for modem, isp, connection type were mandatory. Will this affect the request?
Message 233 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

No, ignore those, more for support on routers.
Message 234 of 347
phrozen
Aspirant

I came home yesterday after a weekend away and my first floor smelled like burnt electronics and my ReadyNAS was dead. I called today and got an RMA for the power supply, but when I opened it up, the power supply didn't look that bad and the smell seemed to be coming from the main board. Should I just send in the entire unit instead of just the power supply?

Can they swap the power supply and be sure it works before sending it back to me? Is it possible that when the power supply went, it took out the main board with it?

I have one of the original bad power supplies from the series of serial numbers mentioned in this thread.
Message 235 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

Call them up again and see what they determine. I'd probably try the replacement PSU first and see if the system works fine, before having the chassis replaced (if its still in warranty).
Message 236 of 347
phrozen
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Call them up again and see what they determine. I'd probably try the replacement PSU first and see if the system works fine, before having the chassis replaced (if its still in warranty).

Ok. Called and they said to send in the power supply. I sent it in.... Let's see what happens. Hopefully that is the only problem. I don't want to have a $600 paper weight on my desk. 😞
Message 237 of 347
Sly_Raskal
Guide

Well, it looks like the PSU on my ReadyNAS NV has stopped working. I can't turn the unit on at all. I purchased the unit in August of 2006, don't know if I'm still able to get a replacement PSU or not.

Funny thing is this past week is the FIRST time I let the unit run for longer than a day without turning it off. I have never done that before because I always used to turn the unit on as I needed it. Normally, I would only need to power on the unit 2 or 3 times a week to do a quick backup or get some files off of it.

Any advice?
Message 238 of 347
phrozen
Aspirant

Sly Raskal wrote:
Well, it looks like the PSU on my ReadyNAS NV has stopped working. I can't turn the unit on at all. I purchased the unit in August of 2006, don't know if I'm still able to get a replacement PSU or not.

Funny thing is this past week is the FIRST time I let the unit run for longer than a day without turning it off. I have never done that before because I always used to turn the unit on as I needed it. Normally, I would only need to power on the unit 2 or 3 times a week to do a quick backup or get some files off of it.

Any advice?

Call support and tell them it burned up. If it is within the range listed in the first post, you will probably get a free replacement.

I just had mine replaced and I am very happy. I also purchased my ReadyNAS in 2006.

Thumbs up to Infrant for doing the right thing....
Message 239 of 347
Sly_Raskal
Guide

phrozen wrote:
Sly Raskal wrote:

Any advice?

Call support and tell them it burned up. If it is within the range listed in the first post, you will probably get a free replacement.

I just had mine replaced and I am very happy. I also purchased my ReadyNAS in 2006.

Thumbs up to Infrant for doing the right thing....

Thanks for the tip. Since it's the weekend I submitted an online ticket at Netgear Support. Hopefully they do send me a replacement unit because when I checked my serial number is within the range.
Message 240 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

Sly Raskal wrote:

Any advice?

It may well be that the constant turning on and off has shortened the life of the PSU. All other things being equal (which they normally aren't but anyway), electronics like this do better if you leave them on all the time. That way there are no big temperature variations. Temperature variations are evil.

Not saying this is the cause. Just saying that the components should be able to run for months and years without interruption. My ReadyNAS is always on, day and night, 24/7/365. The original hard drives had only 10 power cycles when I replaced them after two years. This includes all firmware upgrades and so forth.
Message 241 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

Starlion, I can see your case (#10016717). Your serial number is in range, so support should put through the RMA.
Message 242 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Starlion, I can see your case (#10016717). Your serial number is in range, so support should put through the RMA.

Is this my hard drive issue? I solved that.

I installed the add-on a while ago. Anything else I need to do?
Message 243 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

Looks like I had the case number confused from another customer. What is your ReadyNAS serial number?
Message 244 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

Re: PSU Failures (CustomerID#8442389)

chirpa wrote:
Looks like I had the case number confused from another customer. What is your ReadyNAS serial number?

Hehe. Never mind that. What about my blood pressure? 😉

Anyway my serial is 000da2012---.
Message 245 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

Okay, you are in range, give support a call and they can setup the RMA for you.
Message 246 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Okay, you are in range, give support a call and they can setup the RMA for you.

chirpa, thanks for taking the time but I have a couple of questions.

Sorry if I am dense here, but I have installed the add-on and the unit works fine. Is there anything else I need to do?

Will this require me giving up my ReadyNAS for a while? What about my data? Will I just be able to plonk my drives into a new unit or what?

Is the fact that my NV+ and I are in Hong Kong a problem? Do you have a local number I can use?
Message 247 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

Did you move to Hong Kong from the USA awhile ago? Your registration lists you in Connecticut.

See the International Numbers link in my signature below for local regional numbers. Best to talk with support to see what options they have available regarding PSU or chassis replacements.

If the system is working fine, then you should be okay. This is only for systems that have failed.
Message 248 of 347
Starlionblue
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Did you move to Hong Kong from the USA awhile ago? Your registration lists you in Connecticut.

See the International Numbers link in my signature below for local regional numbers. Best to talk with support to see what options they have available regarding PSU or chassis replacements.

If the system is working fine, then you should be okay. This is only for systems that have failed.

Ah ok thanks. Yes I moved 2 years ago but I guess I should have updated the listing. 😉

Thanks for your time.
Message 249 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

If you login here: https://my.netgear.com/myNETGEAR/support.asp there should be a profile option, to update your current address information.
Message 250 of 347
Top Contributors
Announcements