× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Some Newbie Questions

Scott1991
Aspirant

Some Newbie Questions

Hi All, new to the forum and new to NAS ownership. Was hoping you guys may be able to answer some (newb) questions.

I have a ReadyNAS 214 with 3x3TB WD RED running in RAID X (RAID 5) connected up to my virgin router (internet speed 200MB down 25MB up) and i access my nas from both my house and my parents (BT 200MB down 55MB up) via VPN. Latest Firmware/OS.

I mostly use the NAS to back up files and photos, and also use it for PLEX for streaming to TVs at both my house and my parents.

I find the NAS can be quite slow/ its connected via CAT7 cable direct to the router and when i'm in the house when uploading (using file explorer) in the house its round about 25Mbps and when uploading from my parents to the NAS via VPN (file explorer) its round about 5Mbps. is there any settings I can change to boost the speed? i've got pretty much all the services turned on as i wasn't overly sure what they done. IPv4 and IPv6 is enabled. Sometimes get some stuttering when using PLEX outwith the house.

AntiVirus isn't turned on so thats not a bottleneck, I have a spare 500GB Samsung 570 SSD I was thinking about trying to incorporate as a cache if possible to increase upload speeds but not sure how to go about that.

Any help with optimization of the NAS (and of PLEX for that matter) would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Scott

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Some Newbie Questions

@Scott1991 wrote:

I find the NAS can be quite slow/ its connected via CAT7 cable direct to the router and when i'm in the house when uploading (using file explorer) in the house its round about 25Mbps

megabits or megabytes?  Is the PC connecting with wifi or with ethernet?

Can you try running NAStester on a PC that is connected via ethernet, and report the results? http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

After we sort out the local network performance, we can move on to the wide area.

Message 2 of 5
Scott1991
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Scott1991 wrote:

I find the NAS can be quite slow/ its connected via CAT7 cable direct to the router and when i'm in the house when uploading (using file explorer) in the house its round about 25Mbps

megabits or megabytes?  Is the PC connecting with wifi or with ethernet?

Can you try running NAStester on a PC that is connected via ethernet, and report the results? http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

After we sort out the local network performance, we can move on to the wide area.

Megabytes, ReadyNAS connected to router via Ethernet and laptop connected to router over 1GB WIFI

Running a 100MB file write on Z: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 25.03 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 22.36 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 20.76 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 20.98 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 19.98 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W): 21.82 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Running a 100MB file read on Z: 5 times...

Don't have a spare ethernet cable to plug my laptop in so these results are again  via WIFI

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Scott1991 wrote:

Don't have a spare ethernet cable to plug my laptop in so these results are again  via WIFI

Well, I think your wifi is limiting your home-network performance. Maybe post back when you have a way to test wired performance.

21 MB/s is about 170 mbps, which is reasonable WiFi throughput.

Message 4 of 5
aks-2
Apprentice

Scott, I think you are getting you MB (megabytes) and Mb (megabits) mixed up.

I have a ReadyNAS 214 with 3x3TB WD RED running in RAID X (RAID 5) connected up to my virgin router (internet speed 200MB down 25MB up) and i access my nas from both my house and my parents (BT 200MB down 55MB up) via VPN. Latest Firmware/OS.

If you are in the UK (I am), I don't believe any service is 200 megabytes down, at least the service might be 1Gigabit down or something, so are you translating that to MB?

I have a RN214 on local wired 1Gb network connection, with a wired 1Gb PC connection I get ~100MB/s, so 1 1GB file copies in just over 10 seconds.

Over WiFi it is much, much, slower, as StepheB mentioned.

Virgin media broadband M200 is 216Mbps, and the Virgin Hub3 WiFi claims to be fantastic, but this review shows near range WiFi speed maxed out at 10MB/sec - and the further you are away from the router, the slower it will get. Your 5MB speed is in line with this, so that is the first place to look.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements