× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Some things that I found out on nv+ v2

Banz
Aspirant

Some things that I found out on nv+ v2

Hopefully this will help some people.

1. If you get "Could NOT mount root RAID d" and "Corrupted Root", make sure the drives you put in doesn't have any partition in there. Delete any volumes/partition on a separate PC.

2. If you have ssh addon installed and you try to ssh onto the box using admin account, it will logon and then freeze. Make sure you logon as root.

3. You can ssh onto the box and create directories in /c/ then go to the dashboard and create the shares. The share settings are stored in /etc/frontview/samba/Shares.conf
Beware that if you created a directory through ssh and then create the shares in dashboard. While you're creating the share if the name contains illegal characters, the folder and the contents within it will get deleted. If it is a valid name then the files won't get deleted. I also noticed that you can't create the same share name as someone's account. Eg if you created an account called John, you can't create a share called John.

4. After updating the firmware radiator, remember to delete any cache on your browser or you might get some errors when loading up the dashboard.

5. Can't upgrade the memory, it's soldered to the board.

6. The usb3.0 ports are in the back.

7. If you move the items in your dashboard off the screen and you can't get it back, just clear your browser cache.

8. It takes a long time to build up a parity disk even when the disks are empty.
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Some things that I found out on nv+ v2

3) Better to just create shares via the Dashboard

😎 There is no dedicated parity disk on the NV+ v2, parity is distributed amongst the disks. The disks have to be synced sector by sector to setup the RAID. This is done at a lower level than the filesystem.
Message 2 of 3
nobrainer
Tutor

Re: Some things that I found out on nv+ v2

Banz wrote:
Hopefully this will help some people.

1. If you get "Could NOT mount root RAID d" and "Corrupted Root", make sure the drives you put in doesn't have any partition in there. Delete any volumes/partition on a separate PC.

Just wanted to say thanks for this! I was having a problem with mine using a couple drives I had in my PC that I took out. However, going one step further, I deleted the partitions and I still got the error on the NAS, even though Win7 showed there was no partitions on the drive, a 3rd party tool found there was a hidden partition of like 128mb on each of the drives. I blew the extra partition away and plugged it in to the nas and it worked.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements