× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Steps to install Ubuntu

aaseef021
Aspirant

Steps to install Ubuntu

ReadyNAS 516- Can you provide steps how to update my system to ubuntu

I have made a bootable USB with Ubuntu, how do I boot form USB to install this?

Model: RN51661D|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay 6x1TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Steps to install Ubuntu

@aaseef021 wrote:

ReadyNAS 516- Can you provide steps how to update my system to ubuntu

I have made a bootable USB with Ubuntu, how do I boot form USB to install this?

While you might be able to do this in theory, you'd lose all the ReadyNAS functionality.

Not something I recommend doing.

Message 2 of 6
aaseef021
Aspirant

I do not mind losing the Nas capability, I want to get it on a supported Linux version. I found Untuntu to be good.

How can I accomplished this?

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

You can use the USB recovery method to boot to USB.  As long as it's bootable and does not require UEFI, it doesn't matter what OS it is.

Note that your NAS will continue to try to boot from the flash memory (and then pass control to the OS on the drives) even after you install Ubuntu, and that will fail unless you go in and make (usually irreversable) changes to what's in flash and/or change a BIOS setting (if there is one that'll work, I've not looked).

If you Google it, you will find instructions on changing a ReadyNAS Pro to generic Linux/FreeNAS, and the process for handling the flash on your 516 should be similar.

BTW, Debian Jessie, on which the current ReadyNASOS 6 is based, is still in the long-term suport phase.  It won't be for much longer, and Netgear has never pre-announced when they will be switching over, but I suspect they are already working on it.

Here is my basic advise:  If you need somebody to give you explicit instructions on how to do this, you shouldn't be doing it.  Use a cheap PC for this instead and sell the 516 on eBay.

Message 4 of 6
mdgm
Virtuoso

I would not try changing BIOS settings on the RN516. Some changes have led to bricking of NAS units.

Changes to the internal flash should be reversible by doing USB Boot Recovery on OS6 systems (though of course there’s no guarantee). There’s not the EEPROM corruption issue when doing this that is seen on RAIDiator-x86 systems e.g. the Pro.
Message 5 of 6
aaseef021
Aspirant

Hi 

So I installed Ubuntu, sucessfully, how do I get it to boot into Ubuntu all the time instead of the readnas OS.

I am not concern about this readynas as I have a spare 

I know you guys had mention Bios or flash settings can you please provide steps

Thank You

Aaseef

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements