× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Strongest Processor to transcode 4K for plex

ramymounir
Aspirant

Strongest Processor to transcode 4K for plex

What is the strongest processor compatble  with my Ready nas pro 615 if i need to transcode 4k mkv files using plex?

i appreciate if you could let me know if i need to buy other things for that processor for this upgrade to work.

I know this will void the warranty of course.. 

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Re: Strongest Processor to transcode 4K for plex

There is no RN615.  Did you mean an RN516?  Or something in the new RN600 family?

Message 2 of 20
ramymounir
Aspirant

sorry you are right it is th 516 6 bay

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 3 of 20
ramymounir
Aspirant

?! anyone

Message 4 of 20
rjwerth
Luminary

This thread is your best bet:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/How-to-Upgrade-the-CPU-and-RAM-in-a...

Don't know how many streams you plan to trascode at one time, but that one might do 2.  I was looking closely at doing something like that, but since my warranty is still good, I think I'm going to repurpose an existing box with an i5 to deal with the Plex DVR functions and, if necessary, transcoding for remote users.

Message 5 of 20
ramymounir
Aspirant

is this my best replacement option? i wnted to know the best possible processor to replace the orignal one

I highly doubt that processor is the best, but i am not sre. i am looking to transcode 4K movies.. 

Message 6 of 20
rjwerth
Luminary

"The Best" is relative.  If you want "The Best" CPU that won't melt your Readynas and is a drop-in replacement, I believe that is it.  If you want "The Best" CPU that will do the most streams, be prepared to do some serious modifications.

Message 7 of 20
ramymounir
Aspirant

THanks man for the reply, finally an answer, ok i am willing to do some serious modifications, would you reommend what equipment i need for this upgrade?

Message 8 of 20
rjwerth
Luminary

My recommendation is to follow my lead and use an external box for any processor that excedes the 45W envelope that box was designed for.  There is very little space in there for proper cooling of a higher thermal CPU.  I love a project just as much as the next guy, but after looking at the other thread, I felt a separate box for DVR and heavy transcoding was the answer for me.

Sorry!

Message 9 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@rjwerth wrote:

My recommendation is to follow my lead and use an external box for any processor that excedes the 45W envelope that box was designed for. 

Also an external box offers the possibility of GPU-accelerated transcoding.

Separating storage from applications is more expensive in the short run, but it does give you more options in the future as technology changes.

FWIW, the 62x platform appears to be capable of transcoding one 4K stream in real time.  My 526x wasn't quite up to that, the video stalled.  It does handle 1080p transcoding with no problem.

Message 10 of 20
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ramymounir,

You might want to check this list.

Regards,

Message 11 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@JennC wrote:

You might want to check this list.

It's useful, but doesn't stretch to 4K.

Message 12 of 20
ramymounir
Aspirant

exactly it doesnt stretch to 4k

when i reread the replies, i realize unfortunately that there is no def answer. what is the strongest processor i can use to stream 4k if i am willing to build a seperate box keeping the readynas only for storage?

Message 13 of 20
rjwerth
Luminary

The new Ryzen processors will really chew up transcoding....

Message 14 of 20
SophiaGill
Aspirant

By far the biggest limitation with most NAS is processor-based. Very few NAS contain powerful processors, which can have a significant impact on your experience using Plex. Here is the list of Plex app compatible NAS models.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=3143884...

From this tablet, we can see that the maximum resolution of ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay can transcode is 1080p.

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@SophiaGill wrote:

From this table, we can see that the maximum resolution of ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay can transcode is 1080p.

Your table doesn't include 4K at all, so it doesn't say what can transcode 4K and what can't.

My 52x systems can't transcode 4K.  I suspect the 516 can't trancode 4K either.  There are posts here that say that the RN 62x and the RN716 can.

Message 16 of 20
x219c
Luminary

A rn516 can be upgraded to the processor (unofficially) that's in the rn716. Doing anything else runs the risk of not having full software support of the OS, in my opinion.

The processor to use is a Xeon E3-1265L v2. There may be others that "fit," but as others said, you'd be better off building another machine for that purpose.

Message 17 of 20
SophiaGill
Aspirant

By far the biggest limitation with most NAS is processor-based. Very few NAS contain powerful processors, which can have a significant impact on your experience using Plex.

Virtually every Plex App will need content to be transcoded at least some of the time. Examples of why content might be transcoded:

• The content is not perfectly compatible with the device (filetype/container, resolution, bitrate, codec, etc.) when streaming to a mobile phone, tablet, or other device
  • A subtitle needs to be burned into the video for display
  • Content is higher quality than what the Plex App requests (for instance, remote or shared access)

Transcoding can be a very CPU intensive process in many cases. Many processors used in NAS are not capable of good performance in situations where transcoding is required.

Model: ReadyNAS RN12G1210v2|ReadyNAS 4200v2
Message 18 of 20
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Yes My Upgraded 516 which basically turned it into a 716 other then the 10Megabit ports can handle 4K. A stock 516 can't.   I haven't done much testing in this area.  I have only a couple of 4K video's, and they're getting transcoded to 1080P as that's the resolution of my TV.  I don't have any 4K TV's anyway.  It's taxing on the NAS though.  So trying to play any other streams at the same time can be an issue.

Really at this point, you need real power.  Also PLEX and EMBY both can use a GPU.  There's no GPU in the NAS.   You either buy a really costly NAS, but the smarter move at the point is to just build a custom mini PC.  Put as fast of a CPU in it that you can.  Look at what is supported GPU wise and add that to the system.    Then use the readyNAS you have as just a storage device for your content.   OR you can just build your own NAS.  A NAS is just a computer after all.   So you can build a powerful system. Get a case that can hold a lot of HDD's.  

As for a OS to run on your NAS, check out some of these FREE and Open source Solutions.

http://www.multipelife.com/best-free-open-source-nas-software.html

There are also others like Amahi.

https://www.amahi.org/

So you could build your own custom NAS, and then use what you currently have as a Backup NAS.  I'm backing up my 516 to a low-end QNAP NAS.  It's been working great.

Message 19 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JBDragon1 wrote:

Yes My Upgraded 516 which basically turned it into a 716 other then the 10Megabit ports can handle 4K.

10Mbit is a very old standard now. Most PCs have had Gigabit (1000Mbit) ports for several years now. You mean 10 Gigabit.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements