× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

User cannot access folder on ReadyNas

RPB123
Aspirant

User cannot access folder on ReadyNas

Hi All,

I have a user who is meant to have sole access to a folder on a ReadyNas 312 (along with the admin) but after I mapped the drive their computer, the system is saying 'Access Denied'.

The user has read/write permissions and they are ticked under both Network Access and File Access on the folder properties.

Why would this be?

Message 1 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: User cannot access folder on ReadyNas

Typically, it's due to a password or user name issue.  Remember that both are case sensitive.  But Windows 10 also sometimes has issues accessing via the NAS name, and can give odd error messages when it does,so try using the IP address instead.

If none of those help, did you save the password when you mapped the drive?  Did it connect the time you mapped it and now won't?  Is it giving a user name and password prompt before denying access?

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@RPB123 wrote:

but after I mapped the drive their computer, the system is saying 'Access Denied'.

How did you map the drive?  Did you use the correct user credentials?

Message 3 of 6
RPB123
Aspirant

Sandshark, the computer being used is on Win 7 Pro.

When the user logs into the computer they get access to the ReadyNas folders as ‘mapped drives’ which in my simple terms are just shortcuts to the respective ReadyNas folders.

This particular folder is new but as the user in question can access the same drives as before I cannot understand why this won’t work.
Message 4 of 6
RPB123
Aspirant

StephenB, this mighty be poor terminology on my part.

When I accessed the ReadyNas from the users pc I right clicked on the folder in question and selected the map drive option. This then created a shortcut in their drive list.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@RPB123 wrote:

When I accessed the ReadyNas from the users pc I right clicked on the folder in question and selected the map drive option. This then created a shortcut in their drive list.

I think you have a credentials problem.

Are you using Active Directory or local NAS accounts?

Assuming you are using local accounts:

Try running the cmd prompt on the PC.  Then enter

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:nas-username nas-password

use real values for nas-ip-address, sharename, nas-username, nas-password

That should mount the share as drive letter T.  Then see if you have access.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements