× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using disks not on the HCL?

Robert-M
Aspirant

Using disks not on the HCL?

I've got a ReadyNas NV+ V2, it's running RAIDiator 5.3.13. Appreciate this is a bit long in the tooth nowadays but it's still working well.

So far I've only been using disks on the NetGear Hardware Compatability List, the problem is that this hasn't been updated in a long time and it's only really possible to get these disks second hand nowadays.

My question is whether people have had success in using more modern versions of the same disk.

For example I am currently using Seagate Barracude ST2000DM001 disks, you can't buy these anymore but you can buy Seagate Barracude ST2000DM008 disks, these aren't on the compatiblity list though.

I suspect these will work without issue, I just wondered if other users had tried these, had success with them etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Using disks not on the HCL?

The HCL for your NAS hasn't been updated for years, so it is no longer useful.

I don't recommend using desktop drives (including the DMs you ask about).  Instead, I suggest going with NAS purposed drives ( for instance Ironwolf or WD Reds) or enterprise class drives (for instance Ironwolf Pro or WDC Red Pro).

Message 2 of 4
Robert-M
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB, looking at your reply and a few others of the forum it seems that, by and large, newer versions of disks should work (subject to them not exceeding the size constraints) and that the reccomendation is to use NAS specific drives rather than regular ones.

Guess I'll do a test!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Robert-M wrote:

Thanks StephenB, looking at your reply and a few others of the forum it seems that, by and large, newer versions of disks should work (subject to them not exceeding the size constraints) and that the reccomendation is to use NAS specific drives rather than regular ones.

Yes.  Though of course enterprise-class drives are also fine - but they are overkill for your older NAS (which is limited by its CPU and memory, not the speed of the disks).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements