× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume scan found and corrected errors...almost every day???

Miplo90
Aspirant

Volume scan found and corrected errors...almost every day???

Hello,

I have a ReadyNAS Duo V2 with 2 hard drives: WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3TB in a RAID 1 configuration.
If I have do a volume scan of the disks (Shutdown ->Next startup a volume scan) I get almost always the message: Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes Inode 12648454, i_blocks is 686253560, 686253672 Should be. Fix? yes
And that 365 lines long with only blocks that are wrong.
Can someone give me an explanation of this
The discs are not even a week old.

Thank you.

Regards, Miplo
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: Volume scan found and corrected errors...almost every da

Maybe open an on-line support request.
Message 2 of 16
brinzlee
Aspirant

Well I'm sorry you are experiencing these problems but now I know I'm not going mad....I have exactly the same problem...I recently upgraded my 2 x wd 2tb drives to 2 x WD WD30EFRX 3tb red drives on my readynas duo v2 which are on the HCL as approved......everything was well until I started to replace the data back on the NAS....I then noticed the volume indicator went from green to amber........I then did a restart with volume scan, and this flagged up many errors too.....

I reported this to tech support who sent me a new nas as they thought it was a hardware fault.....I got the shiny new unit yesterday so I proceeded to do a factory reset with the new discs inserted....I formatted to xraid2 and all was well.....the volume light was green and did another volume scan just to make sure all was well.....and hey presto no errors.....

However when I started to replace data back on the NAS as soon as I reached 50% capacity of the 3tb, i.e 1.5tb the volume light went amber again....I did another volume scan and guess what lots of errors again.....

I then deleted some of the data off the NAS which took me below the 50% threshold and guess what volume light is green, and another volume scan produced no more errors.....

So in conclusion I think there must be some serious bug in firmware 5.3.7. I can no longer trust the integrity of the Readynas DUO v2, and would suggest anyone else to be very cautious with this similar setup until a solution is established

CASE # 20593050
Message 3 of 16
Miplo90
Aspirant

Hello Brinzlee,

Thank you for your clear explanation.
I have a case inlaid with Netgear support and wait for their response...
The disks that I purchased are disks whose also supports provided ..

If a get answers i post it in this topic.

Regrads,

Miplo90
Message 4 of 16
Miplo90
Aspirant

Hello,

I am now a week in conversation with Netgear support.
They indicate that a third support employee wants to look forward, remotely via SSH.
Unfortunately this is not possible in the short term ...

Now I note today. That the disk usage is 49%. And volume light orange indicates ....

I have passed it on to Netgear support and hope that with a faster / safer solution.
SSH open up to the outside world, I find not safe.

I'll let you know about some.

Regrads,

Miplo90
Message 5 of 16
brinzlee
Aspirant

Hi Miplo

My case was passed over to level 3 support last week, I have also set my NAS for SSH so that the engineers may also inspect my configuration and hardware...although to date they haven't logged in yet, which I am surprised about due to the nature of this problem, and its consequences to those that have a ReadyNasDuo V2 and 3TB drives...I am now seriously doubting the units data integrity (until told otherwise) as a reliable backup device and would warn others the same....

I will give this another week and if I do not have a satisfactory reply I will return my NAS for a refund as I feel that the unit is not fit for purpose as it currently stands.
Message 6 of 16
brinzlee
Aspirant

Well after a week Level 3 tech support came up with their solution.....they wrote me some code which I installed last night.....and hey presto......didly squat.....same fault no solution.....I mean how hard can it be.....they said they've recreated the problem and other users have a similar fault.....come on guys whats going on ??
Message 7 of 16
brinzlee
Aspirant

In direct communication with L3 support in China now, well sort of, seems like a 300 baud teletype....After doing more exhaustive tests, L3 man annouces the case has now been referred to the R&D department.....Sounds serious.....I keep asking the question is my data reliable.....they are so non committal !! So I guess thats a no then !!
....and on answer to the amber volume light coming on, their reply is....."its supposed to do that"....., when the disk is 50%, I wish they would explain a little more comprehensively rather than see who can type the least letters in an email reply.....I have read....re-read and read again the manual, and no where does it document this....As a laymen I would have thought that anything other than green would indicated a fault

Rant over for today

I'm glad these software guys dont work in the medical industry or space industry.........otherwise we'd be either dead or lost by now !!
Message 8 of 16
Miplo90
Aspirant

Hi Brinzlee,

I have a technical employee level 2 received.
He has probably found the solution for me.
I have the 2 HDD of 3 TB in a raid 1 configuration.
Now I have this week 2 the disks disconnected from the NAS.
One by one, and of course waiting when the RAID has recovered again 🙂
Since then I have no more errors obtained using volume.
The volume icon on the dashboard still orange...

I'll let you know!

Regrads,

Pim
Message 9 of 16
brinzlee
Aspirant

Hi Pim

I tried all of that and it didnt work......All I ended up doing was wasting about a week of my life trying to see if it worked.....
I see the Netgear have just released another iteration of NAS units.....Im all for new stuff, but I would have thought they would have got the older stuff correctly functioning beforehand.....
Im looking at the sales blurb on the side of the older unit and have to say of all the unique selling points only a couple of them actually function correctly.....
I think this will be my last purchase with Netgear.....
Message 10 of 16
Miplo90
Aspirant

Hi Brinzlee,

My errors are returned.
I have run a memory test of the NAS
After 3 days, the test was still not ready/pass/failed.
I have passed on to Netgear support and they expect the NAS itself is broken. They have put an RMA request input.

Regrads,

Pim
Message 11 of 16
brinzlee
Aspirant

Hi Pimm

Sorry to hear that.....they did the same for me and asked me to return the unit. I received a new unit fairly quickly, of course plus additional postage to me...and that didn't fix the fault.
I think their is a firmware fault on the NAS (5.3.7) itself so maybe hang on a little......I'm sure your fault is identical to mine....are you using XRAID2 with your Western Digital WD30EFRX

What was the version of BIN file they sent you to remedy the situation.

I have just been sent another version and installed it and so far so good, no inode errors anyway!!....Maybe they are waiting for my feedback before they release it

Regards

Brinzlee
Message 12 of 16
Miplo90
Aspirant

Hi Brinzlee

I have a new NAS received.
The RMA is handled very quickly but the problem has not been solved for me.
I think to, it is a problem in the firmware.

Regards,

Pim Geurts
Message 13 of 16
brinzlee
Aspirant

Hi Pimm

Thats a shame.......although as I mentioned earlier its the same thing that happened to me
Would you like me to send you the firmware update they sent me.....I think it has fixed my issue....It might be worth a try.....you install it like an addon

Brinzlee
Message 14 of 16
Miplo90
Aspirant

Hello Brinzlee,

Of course you can.

Thank you very much.

Regrads,

Pim Geurts
Message 15 of 16
brinzlee
Aspirant

Hi Pimm...
Did you have any luck with the firmware update on your system.....???
Regards
Brinzlee
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements