× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD40EFRX WD Red 4tb For ReadyNAS104?

heymen
Aspirant

WD40EFRX WD Red 4tb For ReadyNAS104?

Hi Guys,

i know the new 4tb red WD40EFRX is pretty "new" to the market.

Has anyone tried one of these on the netgear readynas 104? i'm thinking to get one these..
Message 1 of 25
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Re: WD40EFRX WD Red 4tb For ReadyNAS104?

We are testing in this weekly.
Factory default with 4 pcs WD40EFRX on RN104, it seems OK, I need to do more testing.
Message 2 of 25
Daf1
Tutor

Any idea when you'll know / when they'll be added to compatibility list ?

On the verge of buying a RN104 - and I've come to trust WD drives so would prefer them over the Seagates. (But don't want the expense of the Blacks/Enterprise disks)
Message 3 of 25
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Evan, I reported a problem with the WD40EFRX drives in my Pro Pioneer and Ultra 2 Plus:

https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=73417: The drive's Idle3 timer is set to 0x50 (8 seconds), so the Load Cycle Count (SMART attribute 193) increases very rapidly: It will reach its rated limit in just a few months.

Have you seen that problem with the RN104?
Message 4 of 25
cbgifford
Aspirant

heymen wrote:
Hi Guys,

i know the new 4tb red WD40EFRX is pretty "new" to the market.

Has anyone tried one of these on the netgear readynas 104? i'm thinking to get one these..

I've been running them in a 314 for three weeks now with no issues. I figured since all three of the smaller ones, a black 4TB desktop and the 4TB RE were listed, it would eventually make the list. We'll see what happens over the long haul.
Message 5 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Have you checked the load cycle count?
Message 6 of 25
cbgifford
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Have you checked the load cycle count?
, load count is 83402 on drive 1, 76748 on drive 2, 82595 on drive 3, power on hours 553.

Load Cycle Count; Load/Unload Cycle Count S.M.A.R.T. parameter indicates the number of cycles into Landing Zone position. \\

Comes out to about three times a minute. That's ridiculous. Trouble is, some operating systems regularly write something onto the hdd causing a few load/unload cycles a minute (typical Linux example: /var/log/*) 😞

I just ran S.M.A.R.T. across an old WD Blue 320gb hard drive that I am using for a swap drive in a Windows 7 box. Power on hours 25302, Load Cycle Count 15629. Seems that OS6 Linux based OS could stand a tweak or two not to write so much to the hard drive or Netgear could support the drive and tweak the power management setting for the drive if they decide to support it. Unless someone out there now knows how to do that on OS6?

In the mean time for the original post, do not buy them...and thanks StephanB for pointing me in the direction of saving my hard drives. I am shutting the 314 down until either I swap out for ECL hard drives or Netgear decides to support them. Or I can figure out how to change the power management options for the drives
Message 7 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

One option would be to use idle3-tools: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59700

The steps might be a bit different for OS6 to the old OS, but you could give it a try.
Message 8 of 25
StephenB
Guru

The load cycle count problem is on Western Digital, not Netgear. Hopefully if enough people complain WDC will post a firmware update.
Message 9 of 25
fastfwd
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
The load cycle count problem is on Western Digital, not Netgear. Hopefully if enough people complain WDC will post a firmware update.

... Or change their policy to allow us to modify the idle3 timer value without voiding the warranty.
Message 10 of 25
StephenB
Guru

fastfwd wrote:
StephenB wrote:

... Or change their policy to allow us to modify the idle3 timer value without voiding the warranty.
Yes.

But a NAS drive clearly should be configured properly for linux. The other RED drives don't have this issue - WDC dropped the ball here.
Message 11 of 25
cbgifford
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
fastfwd wrote:
StephenB wrote:

Yes.

But a NAS drive clearly should be configured properly for linux. The other RED drives don't have this issue - WDC dropped the ball here.

When they start having to honor the warranty on a three year drive starting around 6 months, they will.
Message 12 of 25
vandermerwe
Master

I can confirm that I am seeing the same problem with the 4TB red drives. LCC of 1260 in 6 hours!
I am trying to return the drives to the reseller but I suspect they will say no.
I have also submitted a email support request to WD.

Really annoying this, the marketing has really misled us here and the drives are clearly behaving differently to the 3 TB Red Drives.
Message 13 of 25
vandermerwe
Master

I have had an interesting conversation with WD.
1. There are no new readynas devices on their (WD) compatibility list for the red drives. Some legacy units are on the list.
2. They maintain that there needs to be a modification to the Netgear firmware to allow the 4 tb drives to be used without the LCC issue.

I have pointed out of course that there seems to be a difference in the 3TB vs. 4TB behaviour and this would indicate that the problem lies with the drive, not the NAS.

Unfortunately I think those of us who have purchased these drives based on users' experience with the 3TB version are not going to receive the answers we want as both companies do not yet have these drives on a compatibility list that would indicate they can be used with the new readynas devices.
Message 14 of 25
vandermerwe
Master

Netgear say they are aware of this "issue" and are working on it, presumably with WD. No assurance that a solution will be forthcoming or when though.
Message 15 of 25
immagikman
Aspirant

Been several months now since the last report, any new word?
Message 16 of 25
StephenB
Guru

immagikman wrote:
Been several months now since the last report, any new word?
It's listed on the hcl (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641). Early purchasers found an issue with load cycle count increasing, but some recent posters indicate that WDC has adjusted the thresholds in more recent models.

WDC has also released a new utility to adjust the head parking threshold (replacing the old wdidle). So even if you purchased a model that had the LCC issue, you can fix it (assuming you can connect the drive to a PC).
Message 17 of 25
immagikman
Aspirant

Thanks a lot, I just recently purchased the drives, hopefully they have the issue adjusted.
Message 18 of 25
sgusz
Aspirant

I just purchased a WD40EFRX. It's been in my system for almost 2 days now and it looks like my LCC is still at 0. I would have expected it to move at least some. At least it looks like the newer ones shipping don't have the issue.

Model: WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0
Firmware: 80.00A80
SMART Attribute
Raw Read Error Rate 0
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 2
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Seek Error Rate 0
Power On Hours 32
Spin Retry Count 0
Calibration Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 2
Power-Off Retract Count 1
Load Cycle Count 0
Temperature Celsius 37
Reallocated Event Count 0
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Multi Zone Error Rate 0
ATA Error Count 0
Message 19 of 25
benjamins_2002
Aspirant

Any word if this has officially been corrected yet?
Message 20 of 25
StephenB
Guru

benjamins_2002 wrote:
Any word if this has officially been corrected yet?
Is what corrected?
Message 21 of 25
benjamins_2002
Aspirant

I am new to the NAS world. I've got a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 and I am wanting to upgrade at least one of the drives with WD40EFRX WD Red 4TB. According to the "Hard Drive Compatibility List", WD40EFRX is not compatible. Do you see any issues with this? From what I've been reading, some users in the past have experienced some issues with this setup. Does anybody know if this is still an issue or is this something they're still looking into? Thank you very much for any insight you and anybody else may have.

Hard Drive Compatibility List:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641/~/hardware-compatibility-list-hard-disks
Message 22 of 25
xeltros
Apprentice

I think someone managed to get some seagate 6Tb model recognised. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=77600
So I think 4Tb is safe unless you hit the 4Tb expansion limit or the 16Tb volume limit of older OS. I believe that they have not updated the compatibility list for everything. I think the WD RED WD30EFRX is on the compatibility list, if 6Tb models are recognised and the drive is recognised in another capacity, assuming that the 4Tb model works is reasonable, not certain but reasonable. That said there is still the warranty problem, Netgear can deny support for non-supported drive.
Message 23 of 25
StephenB
Guru

As you can see, the WD40EFRX is not on the HCL for the ultra (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... hard-disks).

It is on the HCL for the RN104. Since this thread is about WD40EFRX for the RN104, you really shouldn't have posted your question on this thread - you should have started a new one, and included the NAS you particularly were interested in.

Using a drive that is not on the HCL will result in Netgear denying support. Understandable in a way, but often very annoying since they don't update the HCL on legacy units very often, essentially leaving you little choice.

The drive will work in the ultra, and the head parking threshold issue discussed above is not a problem with currently manufactured WDC Red Drives. There are limits to expansion, so that is worth discussing on a separate thread. I suggest you start one, and identify the current disk configuration and your firmware in the new thread.

Also, if you are using the normal xraid, your storage capacity will not increase until you add a second 4 TB disk.
Message 24 of 25
benjamins_2002
Aspirant

xeltros and StephenB,

Thanks for the great information; you've helped me clear some things up immensely.
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements