× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Western Digital Red 4 TB: Any Hope for Ultra-6 HCL?

PeteCress
Apprentice

Western Digital Red 4 TB: Any Hope for Ultra-6 HCL?

Right now, the only 4TB drive I see on the HCL for Ultra-6 is the Hitachi.

The WDs, of course, being significantly cheaper....
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Western Digital Red 4 TB: Any Hope for Ultra-6 HCL?

You purchased in Dec 2010, so I think you are out of warranty anyway.

The WDC Reds work, and even if you do have some warranty left I'd still recommend them.

You are aware of the expansion limits?
Message 2 of 9
PeteCress
Apprentice

StephenB wrote:
You are aware of the expansion limits?

"Aware" might be unduly optimistic.... but I come away from skimming various threads with the impression that I could get 14 TB/dual redundancy just by substituting new 4 TB drives one-by-one and 16 TB by wiping the array and reloading it from scratch.

Am I even close?

If so does (14-10)/4 = 400 gigs per drive hold up if I just want to substitute one or two drives?
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

There are two limits, and they both apply to the actual volume size, not the raw disk capacity.

One limit is that you can't expand from < 16 TiB to > 16 TiB in any circumstances. You could get 20 TB in the ultra-6 anyway (single redundancy) by doing a factory reset with all drives in place. Or 16 TB with dual redundancy. Further expansion is not possible.

The other is that a volume cannot grow more than 8 TiB from its starting point. So if you started with 2x1TB on your initial install you'd have a 1 TB volume starting point. The growth limit would take you to a bit more than 9 TB. So you wouldn't get to 14 or 16 in that case. I don't know what you actually had installed when you did the original installation, so I don't know what your actual growth limit is.
Message 4 of 9
PeteCress
Apprentice

StephenB wrote:
The other is that a volume cannot grow more than 8 TiB from its starting point. So if you started with 2x1TB on your initial install you'd have a 1 TB volume starting point. The growth limit would take you to a bit more than 9 TB. So you wouldn't get to 14 or 16 in that case. I don't know what you actually had installed when you did the original installation, so I don't know what your actual growth limit is.

Thanks.

I don't remember my initial config... I want to say it was a full house of 2-TB drives, but wouldn't bet the mortgage money on it.

My take-home from this: Try a couple 4 TB drives... see what happens... and be prepared to do a factory reset.

Tangentially: I am thinking that dual redundancy might be overkill for somebody who has current backup.
Could I drop back from dual redundancy to single redundancy without resetting? i.e. just flip something, let it churn for awhile, and come back to increased capacity?
Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You cannot convert a dual-redundant volume to a single-redundant one. You would need to backup your data and do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything).
Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Try downloading the logs, and looking in expansion.log for the first occurrence of "Data volume has been successfully expanded". If the date matches your first install that should tell you.

If you did start at 6x2TB dual redundancy, you can expand up to 16 TiB, so 6x4TB should be fine.

But unfortunately dropping back to single redundancy means a reset.
Message 7 of 9
PeteCress
Apprentice

PeteCress wrote:
My take-home from this: Try a couple 4 TB drives... see what happens... and be prepared to do a factory reset.

Can anybody elucidate on the two flavors of WD 4TB drives: WD4001FFSX at about $220 (http://tinyurl.com/pxnhk66) and WD40EFRX at more like $155 (http://tinyurl.com/p7h3skt)

As far as I can dope it out, the diff seems to be something around vibration tolerance - the more drives in a box, the greater vibration tolerance required - so the cheaper one should suffice for my Ultra-6.

Am I even close?
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

PeteCress wrote:
PeteCress wrote:

Can anybody elucidate on the two flavors of WD 4TB drives: WD4001FFSX at about $220 (http://tinyurl.com/pxnhk66) and WD40EFRX at more like $155 (http://tinyurl.com/p7h3skt)

As far as I can dope it out, the diff seems to be something around vibration tolerance - the more drives in a box, the greater vibration tolerance required - so the cheaper one should suffice for my Ultra-6.

Am I even close?
The WD4001FFSX is part of the WDC Red Pro line, the WD40EFRX is part of the WDC Red line.

The most important difference is that the FFSX runs at 7200 rpm. So it is higher performance. The EFRX runs at ~5900 RPM - not as fast, but runs cooler/uses less power. The FFSX has a 5 year warranty, the EFRX only has a 3 year warranty.

Both are good choices.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements