× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What does a message stating "Volume data health changed from Redundant to Degraded" mean

GrahamCrafter
Aspirant

What does a message stating "Volume data health changed from Redundant to Degraded" mean

What does the message about volume data movving from redundant to degraded mean

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: What does a message stating "Volume data health changed from Redundant to Degraded" mean

Hi GrahamCrafter,

The change of status of your volume from Redundant to Degraded means that one of the disks has already failed. There is no more redundancy on your volume so if another disk fails, it will result in loss of the volume.

It will be best to download the NAS system logs, then check the disk_info.log and see which disk has failed. You may download it by going to System > Logs, then click the Download Logs button. After finding out which disk has failed, it is advisable to do a full backup of your data then replace the failed drive so it will rebuild.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: What does a message stating "Volume data health changed from Redundant to Degraded" mean

Hi GrahamCrafter,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as a solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 7
GrahamCrafter
Aspirant

Re: What does a message stating "Volume data health changed from Redundant to Degraded" me

Thanks for the help. I have managed to back up the data and have ordered two new (larger) drives that are recommended for NAS units.

Once I get the old ones out I'll see whether they are useable in a desktop unit as backup.

My next problem will be how to install and set up the replacement drives as I no longer have the initial set up leaflet.

Message 4 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: What does a message stating "Volume data health changed from Redundant to Degraded" me

Hi GrahamCrafter,

In replacing the drives, you need to replace first the drive that failed then let the new drive sync. After the first new drive has synced, you can then replace the other old drive with the new one and let it sync as well. If you are not able to determine which drive failed, you may download the NAS system logs and provide that to me so I can check which drive is it. You can upload it to a cloud storage site then send me the download link via private message.

Another way is just simply removing both the old drives then insert the new drives. The NAS should automatically create the volume with X-RAID, RAID 1 as its default RAID configuration. You can just then restore from backup after the volume is created.

Regards,

Message 5 of 7
GrahamCrafter
Aspirant

Thanks. I would not know how to obtain the logs. I was thinking about taking out one drive at a time and see if data is on it. If so I would replace the one taken out and then put a new drive in place of the other one. Would this work and does synching happen automatically?

Message 6 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GrahamCrafter,

You can get the logs by logging in to the local admin page of the NAS then go to System > Logs. Click the Download Logs button. After getting the logs, you may upload it to a cloud storage site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc),then send me the download link via private message.

Would this work and does synching happen automatically

Yes, the sync will happen automatically when you replace the failed drive with a new one.

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements