× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is the serial number of my NV+??

sirca
Aspirant

What is the serial number of my NV+??

Hi!
Today I read about this "Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV+ (#p54911)"
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10259
I want to check if my NV+ nas (RND4210 as I remeber) is affected, also whether I bought it at december 2009 and the service action date is april 2007.
I read its serial number to check if fall beetween the affected range but my serial is 23J39xxxxxxxx which is not an hexadeciman number!!!!
Should I consider only the last 10 digit??
Is the serial number pattern used by NETGEAR changed over years?? In case, is my NV+ nas appliance affected by that service action??
Thank you in advance.
🙂 Best Regards from Rome 🙂
Andrea
Message 1 of 8
chirpa
Luminary

Re: What is the serial number of my NV+??

Open RAIDar, the MAC address in there is what you want to check it against. You can also see this MAC address in FrontView under Network>Interfaces.
Message 2 of 8
sirca
Aspirant

Hi chirpa,
thank you for your quick reply!!
I was hoping in the help of a Jedi!! 🙂
Threfore to check the failure affected range I do not need the serial number but the mac address?? Is it correct??
Sorry, but I understood from the "service action" I need the serial number...
Please can you confirm I need the mac address??
Thank you and sorry for the insistence...:)
🙂 Best Regards fro Rome 🙂
Andrea
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Very old units' serial numbers were the MAC addresses.

I doubt you have an affected unit. Anyway your unit is still under warranty
Message 4 of 8
sirca
Aspirant

Hi mdgm, I get it!!
This evening at home I check with the mac address... I also think my unit is not affected but I want to be sure...:)
Thank you mdgm and chirpa you were very helpful!!
Best Regards from Rome 🙂
Andrea
Message 5 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

I don't think your unit is. My NV+ purchased as an Infrant produced unit right before the sale to Netgear is. It has the original design of the fanless PSU without a metal cover and plastic baffle to force the air flow over the components. This design had a combination of lower air flow over the components and some weak components. (Note: my unit still has the original 4+ year old PSU) If you have ever had the back off your unit to blow the dust out and looked in at the PSU and noticed a metal shield with vent holes over the components, you have the new style PSU. (I have purchased a spare PSU and thus have seen the new style).

On my label on the back the serial number and Mac address are the same. Since yours are different, that is another indication you have the newer style PSU and are not affected.
Message 6 of 8
sirca
Aspirant

Hi PapaBear!!
I checked the mac address against "affected range" and seems my unit is not between the bounds. 😄
I purchased the NV+ in december 2009, even though for several reasons I started to use it in April/June 2011 :oops: so I think it is not an Infrant model, as that firm was acquired by NETGEAR in May 2007.
Also the NV+ comes out of box with the 4.1.6 firmware so I think it is a "modern" unit.
Sorry but I never disassembled the unit so I dont know as the psu is buildt ...
Finally, thanks to yours advice, I reasonably think my unit is not affected...I hope...
Any other suggestions for improved security is welcome 🙂
Sorry for my obsessive compulsive questions... :oops:
Thank you for your reply and your suggestions!
🙂 Best Regards from Rome 🙂
Andrea (Andy)
Message 7 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

It probably also has the big "Netgear" in the middle of the door which tells you that it is a more modern unit.

Enjoy it. It is a good machine for use as a standard file server. Mine is still in use, but in a backup role now.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements