× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Who invented the (Frontview) GUI

TonVH1
Aspirant

Who invented the (Frontview) GUI

I know the Qnap & Synology GUI's in detail and a few others have passed my desk.

Also I admit I have not seen all NAS GUI's but I must say those that I have seen the Frontview GUI is not only the most ugly one but also technically too complex and illogical. I gives one the feeling that it has been designed in the time when 640*480 resolution was considered to be great but this is 2012 and we halve larger screens so much more room and tools for designing.

The largest competitors (Qnap & Synology) also have their quirks but both are a relief to work with.

I think it is useless to number up what and where should be changed but better I do have an important question:

Are there any plans for a up-to-date GUI and when can this be expected?

PS: this post is not meant to offend any happy user. Otoh I find the ReadyNas hardware better than the competition.
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Who invented the (Frontview) GUI

The ReadyNAS line has been around since 2004 (and it was in development before that). The Frontview UI has undergone changes over time. The last redesign being after the NetGear acquisition for the release of RAIDiator 4.x which was released back in December 2007. The x86 line kept this same UI and there has been changes over time. The last big change probably being the addition of the Add-Ons menu in RAIDiator 4.2.16 for x86

Whilst we can't expect NetGear to comment on what might/might not happen in this area, you can note that RAIDiator 5.3 for ARM, and ReadyDATA OS for ReadyDATA devices have a new Dashboard web-admin interface rather than the Frontview web-admin interface found on older devices. There are some videos on YouTube and some documentation for those devices which you can look at if you're interested in seeing what the Dashboard UI looks like.
Message 2 of 10
TonVH1
Aspirant

Did find 1 movie about ReadyData. Bad quality but it lookes more attrative. Is there absolutely no indication whether this will come to the Ultra 2 and at what moment? Hate the idea of having to keep using this GUI for a serieus long time.
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

TonVH wrote:
Did find 1 movie about ReadyData. Bad quality but it lookes more attrative. Is there absolutely no indication whether this will come to the Ultra 2 and at what moment? Hate the idea of having to keep using this GUI for a serieus long time.
I don't think Netgear is going to pre-announce their product plans here - that is not their general practice.
Message 4 of 10
naslasse
Aspirant

The Frontview GUI is terrible. I have had my ReadyNAS for a couple of weeks and I have spent lots of time just to make very simple tasks. The GUI is very unlogical and absolutely not user-friendly. I hope Netgear will make a new more modern and user-friendly GUI.
Message 5 of 10
Marto731
Aspirant

the (Frontview) GUI

Hi, Can the previous speakers state what Model # of NAS you are using?
Do you dislike GUI of Sparc/ x86 or v2 ARM units?

Thanks
Message 6 of 10
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Marto, obviously they are all talking about the Ultra version so the x86 and its terrible Frontview 4.2.22 .

So as you are from Netgear, could you tell the impatient users that we all are if a new GUI can be expected before the eol of our RDN ?

Thank you.
Message 7 of 10
MueR
Aspirant

I don't care about a new GUI. I want an upgrade to a more recent debian version. This ancient debian version is a nightmare.
Message 8 of 10
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Agree with MueR.

A least netgear should upgrade the full Debian base to the latest and provide security updates.
Message 9 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

I doubt you'll see a Debian update on the current product line. Focus seems to be on the ReadyDATA stuff for the last few quarters, as clearly seen by the lack of NTGR reps on here lately...
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements