× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why Have Prices Dropped?

spinaltap1
Aspirant

Why Have Prices Dropped?

Here in the UK, prices for the ReadyNAS NV+V2 (RND4000-200EUS) have substantially reduced - from £270 to £160.

Also, prices for the DuoV2 (RND2000-200EUS) have reduced down to £100.

While I applaud the price reduction, does this indicate that newer/replacement models are imminent?
Message 1 of 12
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Why Have Prices Dropped?

Unlikely. This is the most recent ReadyNAS product which has been released by Netgear (fall 2011). They sometimes do a temporary price drop on items to spur interest and sales. Over here (US) the Duo V2 has had a corresponding price drop, but the NV+ V2 has not, although they are offering a rebate that is a 25% reduction. (I would prefer the temporary price drop myself).

That being said, there are some who are expecting a refresh of the Ultra/Pro lines because they are now two years old. (Released in 2010). We will all know when a new model is introduced as they will hit the shelves about the same time as the announcement.

If you have done your comparisons and one of these is a model you are interested in, this may be a good time to grab one.
Message 2 of 12
spinaltap1
Aspirant

I currently have a Duo.v1, which is why my ears pricked-up when I saw several online resellers showing the NV+v2 for less than I originally paid for my Duo.v1.

I use my Duo for streaming music and movies to my Squeezebox Touch and Mac Mini HTPC/plasma television.

My dilemma is do I stick with what I already know best - or for the same money as the NV+v2 I can get a HP Proliant Microserver N40L (with WHS2011 and iHomeServer for iTunes added for streaming directly to my AppleTV3). The official spec sheet for the NV+v2 doesn't indicate that iTunes Server is available for this model.

As far as I know; the Ultra/Plus Series has been replaced/re-designated as the ProSafe Ultra - RNDU4000-100UKS - (due over the next couple of months).
Message 3 of 12
HERBIEO
Aspirant

I got my Duo v2 for £99 from Dabs back in may that's why i grabbed it when i see it for that price.
Message 4 of 12
PapaBear1
Guide

spinaltap - the ProSafe is the name Netgear uses on some of it's switches. Where did you see the RNDU4000-100UKS referred to as a "ProSafe Ultra"?
Message 5 of 12
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Message 6 of 12
gibxxi
Guide

That's just the existing models with the name "ProSafe" added. Hardware wise, they are no different, or at least that's how it looks to me.
Message 7 of 12
spinaltap1
Aspirant

They have USB3 ports on the rear.
Message 8 of 12
devilsrear
Aspirant

Excellent Post - was planning to upgrade for the duo v1 (no problems with it at all - brilliant, but no new versions of transmission and the latest RAIDator 4.1.9 is not compatible with the version of transmission 2.42)

Picked up a duo v2 diskless and bought 2 x Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3tb - should come tomorrow - couple of days shuffling the data from one to another then to decide either to keep the duo v1 or sell it....
Message 9 of 12
PapaBear1
Guide

OK. That is NOT an official Netgear page. It is a page from Sonictec Limited which is a UK based network and communications company. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and you will see the copyright symbol followed by 2011-2012 Sonictec Limited. It is an error in listing on the page. In order for them to use the blue Netgear header with the word NETGEAR in the correct font, they must be a Value Added Retailer (VAR) which sell a company's products to a client base along with installation, setup and support as part of a solution. It is quite a common practice in the computer industry as manufacturers do not have the staff to do that and regular retailers do not have the expertise.

Most likely someone was updated their web pages, listed the Netgear switches (one line of which does use the name ProSafe) and then started listing the Ultras and tagged it on behind ReadyNAS after the Ultra2 which does not have it in it's listing.
Message 10 of 12
spinaltap1
Aspirant

I believe the old model number for the Ultra (diskless) is RNDU4000-100PES, while its replacement is RNDU4000-100UKS.

Here in the UK, the former can be had for £317 while the latter is around £425.
Message 11 of 12
HERBIEO
Aspirant

I think using the Prosafe in the product discription is just thier own idea no one else uses it look this is the same unit at Dabs
http://www.dabs.com/products/netgear-readynas-ultra-4-mm-desktop-storage-w-iscsi-diskless-72X2.html?...
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements