× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

disk fail with new firmware

mitip
Follower

disk fail with new firmware

I now have a bricked Duo after it did a firmware upgrade on its own. N

The net result is that I now have five perfectly good hard drives, all out of warranty, not ones in 'the list' because i bought them before it seemed to matter, but ones that have wotrked perfectly well for several years and that pass all the SMART and and other PC based tests with flying colours when I hook them up up[ to a PC,,,,, but are now seen as bad disks.

Hence my Duo will no longer boot. with a disk in it. I can get USB recovery to work. It then shuts down and I reboot and 'Radiator' will see it until I put any disc in it. Needless to say I have lost the data on the discs. Thank God for the cloud. I think this shows me the days of NAS are over and cloud is the way forward.

Any prompts on how to go back a firmware step given the stae of the my Duo?
Message 1 of 3
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: disk fail with new firmware

You have 5 bad disks but a duo? Hmmmm. When you hook the drives up to your PC are they seen by the BIOS when you boot (you do have to turn of the splash screen to see the rolling text). If so they should be then seen by Windows Drive Management. Note - the disks in a Duo (and any ReadyNAS and every other brand that I know of) are formatted with various Linux distros and will not be see by Windows my computer or Windows Explorer, but will be seen by the computer BIOS and the Drive Management. Drive Management will show various partitions on the drive.

You could also run the vendor tools on the drives (SeaTools for Seagate and Data Lifeguard for WD). If the drive is seen by the BIOS, then the vendor software will still see the drive when Windows will not. Windows will only show drives that are FAT or NTFS formatted.
Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: disk fail with new firmware

mitip wrote:
Any prompts on how to go back a firmware step given the stae of the my Duo?
Erase the partitions on one of the hard drives on you PC (Windows Disk Manager can delete them). Then put the disk into the duo (powered down, by itself), and then start it up. I expect that the Duo will re-install the OS and recreate an empty C volume.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements