× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to upgrade from ReadyNAS Duo v1

Tomaso1
Aspirant

how to upgrade from ReadyNAS Duo v1

I have a Duo v1 that is 1 year old, and its 2TBx2 disks are getting fuller with photos and movies and music and backups. Now that Netgear have signalled the end of life for ReadyNAS Photos and thereby also for the Duo v1, I am struggling to understand my options.

How long is the Duo v1 likely to continue to work?

I would like to lift the drives out of the Duo v1 and plug them straight into a more up-to-date ReadyNAS- will that work without a lot of backing up and re-copying?

Preferably, I would get a unit with spare drive bays, so when I run out of space on my 2x2TB set, I would buy and start to use another pair of disks in the same ReadyNAS box. Would that work? Which new and larger ReadyNAS should I choose?

I have a 3TB USB drive which does not work on ReadyNAS duo v1. Which, if any, of the newer ReadyNAS will it work with?
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: how to upgrade from ReadyNAS Duo v1

Tomaso wrote:
How long is the Duo v1 likely to continue to work?
Hard to say. Historically Netgear has supported their NAS products for many years.
Tomaso wrote:
I would like to lift the drives out of the Duo v1 and plug them straight into a more up-to-date ReadyNAS- will that work without a lot of backing up and re-copying?
No, you won't be able to directly move the drives. You can buy a new 2 TB drive, and copy over the network. Then add the existing drives, giving you twice the storage you have now.
Tomaso wrote:
Which new and larger ReadyNAS should I choose?
For general file serving, the ultra 4 is a good choice. The new NV+ V2 is also a sensible choice, but personally I would wait a bit for the firmware to stabilize.
Tomaso wrote:
I have a 3TB USB drive which does not work on ReadyNAS duo v1. Which, if any, of the newer ReadyNAS will it work with?
The Duo V2, NV+ V2, Ultra and PRO lines all support 3 TB drives.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements