× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new hdd is black, and degraded

davesfolly
Aspirant

new hdd is black, and degraded

OK got new hdd, turned off the unit, installed, back on I have that issue. I've tried to format the drive, but no change.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: new hdd is black, and degraded

There are some partition types that the NAS can't delete, though I wouldn't expect the drive to come with one of those present.  But I suggest you remove the drive and remove any partitions on it with a PC.

It's best to swap the drive with power on, BTW.  That helps keep the NAS from getting confused at power-on and lets you see in the log the removal and insertion.  You could try just removing and replacing it with power on before you do the zero to see if it helps.

Message 2 of 4
davesfolly
Aspirant

OK, thanks for that info. Now I took the HDD to a windows computer, and formatted it ex fat. now it's here. I've read a lotta threadss, and dont know what to do next. Help.  and thanks

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@davesfolly wrote:

OK, thanks for that info. Now I took the HDD to a windows computer, and formatted it ex fat. now it's here.

You'll either need to format it again in the NAS, or put it back into the Windows computer and unformat it. 

You can unformat it using the windows disk manager - selecting and deleting each partition ("volume" is what Windows calls them) on the disk.  After that, hot-insert it into the NAS.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements