× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

one of the users is gone after a power cut

msotelano
Aspirant

one of the users is gone after a power cut

ReadyNAS 102

Hi: After a power cut the system restarted but one of the users (and all information/files) is gone. The user is in the list, also in the home directory but every user have also another directory/folder. The home directory is there, the user is still in the list and he can access to the nas. But the folder created to put their files and the files are gone. Everything else works fine.

Any ideas?

PD: When de system restarted after the power cut all the users were gone actually. But after turning the system off manually and turned back on all the users reappeared except one. Tried power the system off an on a couple of times but that user never appeared again.

Message 1 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: one of the users is gone after a power cut

I suggest you start by doing whatever you would do if the same happened but there was no power outage, since you don't really know the two are related.

Are these other user areas of the NAS just folders within a common share, or are they shares?  If it's a folder within a share, check that nobody accidently moved it into another folder.  Do you have snapshots enabled?  If it's a folder, you should be able to recover from snapshot.

How are you accessing the folder?  There are some things that can get messed up and "hide" a share.  If the area in question is a separate share, you'll have to use SSH to see if the share is really still there.  If it is, there's a script that might fix it.

Message 2 of 11
msotelano
Aspirant

Hi. I appreciate your answer, but I have no idea what are you talking about. Did you see the "manual" that came with the NAS? It is a tiny flyer with basic instructions about installing it. Nothing else.
Common Share? Just Folders? Snapshots? I do not know what that is.
A year ago or so, I bought the NAS. Installed, recognized by my net (windows) and my TV.
I did create 3 users: my one, my wife and one for the movies.
On the NAS, I created 3 folders, one for each user. I gave access to myself, my folder, my wife, her folder, movies, everyone on settings.
I did notice a home folder with folders named after all the 3 users. We never used it. They are still there, empty all of them.
We use every day all folders. After the power cut (no doubt about this), my folder disappear. As I mentioned, at first, all folders were gone, but after I turned the system off and put it back on, my wife folder and movies reappeared. My one no.
My folder on the home folder is still there, empty as it was before, the same as the other folders.

Another thing not related to the folder issue is that after the power cut, the access to the files was very slow. I saw on the internet about trying with one Hardrive only. I did it. Now the access is really fast, even faster than before. The NAS say now that it is "Degraded", and I do not have RAID/Backup, but the performance is excellent. The system never showed any problems or alerts with any of the HD.

Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@msotelano wrote:

Did you see the "manual" that came with the NAS? It is a tiny flyer with basic instructions about installing it.

Full documentation is on-line. 

@msotelano wrote:

Another thing not related to the folder issue is that after the power cut, the access to the files was very slow. I saw on the internet about trying with one Hardrive only. I did it. Now the access is really fast, even faster than before. The NAS say now that it is "Degraded", and I do not have RAID/Backup, but the performance is excellent. The system never showed any problems or alerts with any of the HD.

Did you notice whether the volume was resyncing after the power cut?  If it was, it would have been better if you let that finish (laving the second disk in place).  But leave that alone for now, I think we should try to recover your data first.

@msotelano wrote:

On the NAS, I created 3 folders, one for each user. I gave access to myself, my folder, my wife, her folder, movies, everyone on settings.

I did notice a home folder with folders named after all the 3 users. We never used it. They are still there, empty all of them.
We use every day all folders. After the power cut (no doubt about this), my folder disappear. As I mentioned, at first, all folders were gone, but after I turned the system off and put it back on, my wife folder and movies reappeared. My one no.

The NAS caches disk writes, so there is some delay between the time you update a file/folder and when the actual writes to the disk take place.  It is possible that there were some cached writes when the power failed.  That could result in some file system corruption.  The system would have rescanned the file system when you rebooted it, but might have been unable to recover your folder.

One option would be to connect the disk to a Windows PC, and try RAID recovery software that supports BTRFS.  For instance, ReclaiMe. https://www.reclaime.com/   You can download it w/o paying first, and see if it can find your folder.  If it can, then pay for it.  You'll need to off-load the files (then recreate the share, and restore them after you put the disk back in the NAS).

Message 4 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

How did you create those "folders" for each user?  If you did so under the "Shares" tab in the NAS admin GUI, then they are shares, not simple folders.  If you did so on a PC, putting them under an existing share, then they are simple folders.

If they are shares, there is a script that might fix the problem.  But determining if it will and then runinng it require you access the NAS command line interface via SSH, and it doesn't sound like that's something you have ever done.  If you feel confident you can do it, then we can help guide you.  If you don't. then Netgear support is your best option.

If they are simple folders, then you'd be looking at data recovery.

Message 5 of 11
msotelano
Aspirant

Yes, They are under "Shares".

I will like to tray the script. Thank you

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

The script can be found here:  https://gitlab.codycook.us/readynas-scripts/share_lun_ui_fix.sh

You do need to enable ssh access,and then log into the NAS using root as the username, and the NAS admin password.

Message 7 of 11
msotelano
Aspirant

It did not work.

I just made a backup and format the drives, hopping it will not happen again.

Thank you for your help

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@msotelano wrote:

It did not work.

I just made a backup and format the drives, hoping it will not happen again.

Consider getting a UPS to protect the NAS from unexpected power loss.

Message 9 of 11
msotelano
Aspirant

I have one, but the cuts are for long time and no UPS (that I can pay) will support that.
I am considering to NOT using the RAID and just use the NAS as simple backup (as when it is NOT in raid mode it works faster) and setup an external backup from the nas on a USB drive.

I think that will make the things easy for me.

Readynas is not working for me, now I have a problem with the backup itself (Yes, now I did download the manual and follow the recommendations). I did setup ReadyCloud as backup system. It did work very well for a while, after the last power cut it stop working. I did open a new message about it.

It is "funny", Before I used to backum manually every week all my computers. For many (more than 10) years I had no problems. I though a NAS will be the solution to make it automatic. I was wrong.

Thank you for your help

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@msotelano wrote:

I have one, but the cuts are for long time ...

If it has a USB connection, then the NAS will likely recognize it, and shut down when the UPS battery drains.  That would prevent lost (cached) writes - which can create data integrity issues.

@msotelano wrote:

Readynas is not working for me, now I have a problem with the backup itself (Yes, now I did download the manual and follow the recommendations). I did setup ReadyCloud as backup system. It did work very well for a while, after the last power cut it stop working. I did open a new message about it.

There are other options.  Personally I run Acronis TrueImage on my PCs.  That will run backups on a schedule, with a NAS share as the target.  FreeFileSync is potentially another option (among several) - though I prefer having a disk image, so I can restore to bare metal on the PC if need be.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements