× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

potential purchase

blueboyrob
Aspirant

potential purchase

Hello,

I'm in the market for a NAS/media server for the home and have been looking through the reviews for the ReadyNAS Duo v2 which i'll probably purchase in the coming weeks. I've looked at the HDD compatabilty list and wondered if anyone had any personal recommendations as the list is quite extensive. My order of preferences would be:

1. Highest Data transfer rates
2. Quietness
3. Price
4. Warranty

Thanks in anticipation

Rob
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: potential purchase

1. Go with a 7200rpm disk for this.
2. Go with a slower rpm disk for this. Performance will be slower than with 7200rpm disks but still pretty quick.
3. For cheapest price you'd go with a low capacity consumer disk
4. Longer warranty disks tend to be more reliable but they're also more expensive.

You have needs that in some ways conflict with each other. What capacity drive are you after? You do have to decide how important different things are you to and make a decision based on that.

I've heard good things about Hitachi on the forum and may well get some of them when I next purchase disks (I haven't decided yet).
Message 2 of 5
blueboyrob
Aspirant

Thanks,

I'll probably only need 2 x 2TB disks as we don't have masses of data to store, so i'm looking for a disk that has reasonable transfer rates whilst not being too noisy and not too expensive, if that makes any sense!?!
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Regarding noise, see http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=285662#p285662

So getting a Samsung could be a good option if very noise conscious. I would say the slower RPM drives should have good enough transfer rates for you and would be a good option. Personally I'm not a fan of WD but some other's like them a lot.
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The NAS also has fans, so it will make some noise independent of the drives. Take that into account when you decide where to put it (your entertainment center might not be the best place!).
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements