× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to install Docker cli on a ReadyNAS 628X

tigerten
Luminary

unable to install Docker cli on a ReadyNAS 628X

I have just acquired a used ReadyNAS 628X running 6.10.8. I have been unable to install docker, all versions of it, with or without kernel-plus installed. 

I have tried to factory reset multiple time and reinstall the OS as well. I just can't install it. 

The weird thing is I used to have a RN314 running 6.10.8. Once i installed the kernel-plus, I had no problem installing it and the portainer. 

Any clue or direction to where I should investigate?

Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
HuwSy
Guide

Re: unable to install Docker cli on a ReadyNAS 628X

Hi

I did a bit of digging via ssh to get it working here on an x86 variant (516)

First up was add a few sources to apt, because Jessie is no more

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib
deb https://download.docker.com/linux/debian jessie stable

Then make sure you have the keys to use the repos via

apt update
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys <replace-key-here>

Finally

apt install docker-ce docker-cli-rnapp

Gave me docker in the apps part and usable via ssh for most apps, the biggest issue is the discs will never sleep unless you mount an ssd or usb etc as the /apps/docker… path.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 18

All Replies
tigerten
Luminary

I have gone back to as far as OS 6.10.0 and various version in between. no luck!

This appears hardware specific. RN628X and RN626X share the same hardware. Can someone who owns any of this do me a favor testing this? I would really appreciate the help. 

I assume it is not just CPU architecture. RN314 and 628X are both intel x64 CPUs. 

@Mhynlo would you be able to help?  thanks. I really want to get this to work. It is really a piece of nice hardware, and without Docker, it is not much of a use tome. thanks again.

I would also appreciate any advice from anyone.

Message 2 of 18
tigerten
Luminary

Message 3 of 18
schumaku
Guru

The never ending dream ... or probably never (says Stefan) again here:

https://rnxtras.com/add-ons/firmware-6-10-5-how-to-upgrade-104510

Message 4 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@tigerten wrote:

@Mhynlo

... hasn't posted here since 2018, so I suspect won't reply.

The fundamental problems are:

1. Netgear doesn't upgrade to newer linux builds, and over time the needed library interfaces aren't available for many packages. Backporting is in some cases possible, but is a lot of work.
  2. Netgear was never able to build a solid app community - most of the available apps are very old, and not supported at all.

My personal approach is to only use the NAS for storage.  I run my applicatoins on an always-on PC with the data volume mapped to a drive letter.

Message 5 of 18
tigerten
Luminary

Thank you, @shumaku and @StephenB.

You both are right. I understand the situation with readynas. I was prepared to settle with it just being a NAS device and docker capability, even it is outdated. I just love readynas OS’ ease of it backup function. It is still the best. I used a synology before. It has all the functions, but its backup is not as flexible as readynas.

I sold my RN314 and bought the newer 628x hoping i would still be able to run docker on it. I am disappointed.

I would like hear if docker works with other people’s 626 or 628. I can’t seem to understand it is just mu unit of 628x.

Kindly, owners of 626 or 628, pls let me know you experience the same issue.

Again, thanks both. I know readynas os’ life numbered. Jessie is obsolete now. No more apps will be available or function.
Message 6 of 18
HuwSy
Guide

Hi

I did a bit of digging via ssh to get it working here on an x86 variant (516)

First up was add a few sources to apt, because Jessie is no more

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib
deb https://download.docker.com/linux/debian jessie stable

Then make sure you have the keys to use the repos via

apt update
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys <replace-key-here>

Finally

apt install docker-ce docker-cli-rnapp

Gave me docker in the apps part and usable via ssh for most apps, the biggest issue is the discs will never sleep unless you mount an ssd or usb etc as the /apps/docker… path.

Message 7 of 18
tigerten
Luminary

Thanks a lot.

Coincidentally, i also figured out how to install it, with the help of a kind member friend here.
What a wonder community. My mighty readynas got an extended life!

Really appreciate your help
Message 8 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

So, what goes in <replace-key-here> ?

Message 9 of 18
HuwSy
Guide

Hi

I can’t remember what the key was. But when you do apt update it complains it can’t use one or more repositories because they don’t have the appropriate key. The part it displays is what you put here, you may need to do one for the newer Debian repo and one for the docker repo.

Huw
Message 10 of 18
tigerten
Luminary

May i ask why using “stretch” distrib, not the jessie? While it works well with dockers, it seems to break a lot of others.

Would you be able to get the jessie work the same way?

Thanks
Message 11 of 18
HuwSy
Guide

I picked stretch to install docker as I only ever got key expired off the Jessie ones that I needed files from. Once docker is installed you can take it off again or change back to Jessie. I haven’t tried an upgrade via stretch yet as it wants to change systemv which will likely break things.
Message 12 of 18
tigerten
Luminary

Once i installed docker, i will not be able to install several others, like ddclient, logitech media server, etc. removing the stretch from source list does not help.

Do you think i can burn the Jessie installation ISO to a USB flash drive and add it to the source.list to bypass the security check? There might be shared dependencies between docker and others.
Message 13 of 18
HuwSy
Guide

You could explicitly trust the Jessie repo with

deb [trusted=yes] http

But it does put you at risk of man in the middle attacks. After this 1st thing should be to install apt-transport-https then update your sources to https for Jessie at least. This will reduce the risk.

Personally given the age and support of Jessie I have got docker working then run everything via docker and latest distributions within so I only have the kernel annd docker out of date to worry about and not every other package used in an application
Message 14 of 18
tigerten
Luminary

Thanks.
That was what i did, explicitly trusting the repo. But i always feared.

I will take your advice and play a bit further. Will report back if any issues.

You are wonderful. Thanks for taking the time exploring this for me.

R
Message 15 of 18
tigerten
Luminary

@HuwSy do you know what exactly the version of Jessie Readynas 6.10.8 is based on ? It appears to be older than 8.11.1, the latest.

I think i know how to setup a local repo easily.

Thanks.
Message 16 of 18
HuwSy
Guide

Hi. Unfortunately I do not. But I know I can get away with apt upgrade against Jessie updates and not against stretch.
Message 17 of 18
Edno_one
Initiate

Re: unable to install Docker cli on a ReadyNAS 314

Please, please can someone help me with installing Docker on ReadyNAS 314, so that I can breathe some life into this NAS.

I have been trying through SSH to no luck.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements