× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

upgrading capacity

mathiourose
Aspirant

upgrading capacity

Hi - I have a RN314 with 4 x 3TB hdd. I am looking to upgrade my capacity and was considering a) getting 4 x 6 TB for the 314 or b) a 312 with 2 x 10TB - and keeping the 314. Any thoughts... would 2 x 10TB be faster? The cost seems similar.

Thanks

J

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

Re: upgrading capacity

LAre you factoring in to your costing the fact that you would have four 3 tb disks free with the first approach.  These could be sold or repurposed.  

With today's cost of 10 tb disks, using them in RAID 1 doesn't seem cost effective.  A RAID 1 array would be faster than a RAID 5 (xraid) array.

Another approach would be to upgrade to a six bay Readynas, use the existing disks and add new ones as you need capacity.  As you gradually upgrade the disk sizes the 4 bay unit could be populated with the smaller disks and used as a backup.

Message 2 of 5

It really depends on what you are looking for!!

In a cost effective sense of way 4x6Tb is better than an other unit plus the 10TB X 2 purchase .

As far as I am concerned!

And recycle your old drives in an obsolete NAS or entry level NAS to double back up your critical datas!

Message 3 of 5
mathiourose
Aspirant

Thanks for the comments - I think I will replace 2 of the 3TB with 2 x 8TB now and then 2 x 8TB later.

Cheers

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 4 of 5

You are welcome!

Keep me in the loop!

Have a nice day.

If you are satified kudoe appriciated!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies