× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

which rack for Ultra 6?

spie
Aspirant

which rack for Ultra 6?

Hi,

I'm moving to a new flat. There I have the possibility to place my NAS in the cellar. Hence I wonder, which rack to take to prevent my ULTRA 6 and my NV from dust. Maybe there is someone in the community who can give me some advise?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: which rack for Ultra 6?

Server rack is a good idea. Though designed for rackmount gear these do tend to have one or more shelves (number tends to vary on height) and you can buy more.

Server racks tend to fit standard 19" rackmount equipment, good for if you buy any rack-mountable equipment (e.g. rack-mountable switch) to be placed near the NAS.

I would be wary of putting a NAS in a cellar, particularly if the cellar is prone to flood. The ReadyNAS is not designed to withstand floods and will not.
Message 2 of 7
spie
Aspirant

Thanks MGM,

flood/water is not really an issue here. All of the installations are quite far away, additionally the rack will be placed in about 1m height.

Could you maybe be more specific about a recommendation (manufacturer)? I took a look at rittal. I'm unsure e.g. if I have to worry about heat issues?
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You might want to get a rack with a fan and perhaps find an additional way to cool down the rack if possible. Heat could well be a concern.

Most server racks that are enclosed should be pretty good at keeping dust out. Not going to be perfect, but the next best thing.

Have you seen the cellar yet and have you inquired how hot it gets? Is it ventilated at all?
Message 4 of 7
spie
Aspirant

it's just a "normal" cellar in a flat. I thinks that is not getting to hot there. Maybe 25 grad celsius (max.) in summer. There is a window right next to the place, where the rack should be placed. Don't think of a data center cellar - it's just a cellar in a private flat :wink:
Message 5 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

Hope it's a private lockable space in the cellar, otherwise you would be putting some fairly expensive equipment into a common area and it could be a real temptation.
Message 6 of 7
spie
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
Hope it's a private lockable space in the cellar, otherwise you would be putting some fairly expensive equipment into a common area and it could be a real temptation.

Certainly it is 😎
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements