× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk drive render from RAID config

uptown30
Guide

Disk drive render from RAID config

I want to know how much space is a result of different RAID configuration.  There was a link to this but I can't find it now.  I am refering to the ReadyNAS 314 with 8 Terabyte drive.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disk drive render from RAID config

@uptown30 wrote:

I want to know how much space is a result of different RAID configuration...  I am refering to the ReadyNAS 314 with 8 Terabyte drive.

I'm not sure I understand your question, perhaps you might want to be more specific. For instance, if you are thinking your data volume isn't the right size, tell us the disk configuration and the volume size you are seeing.  If you are thinking about a different RAID mode, give us the disk configuration the NAS will have and the RAID mode you are considering.

If you are using XRAID (the default) the data volume capacity is the sum of all the disks minus the largest disk.  The NAS shows space in TiB not TB.  1 TiB = 1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes. 1 TB = 1000*1000*1000*1000 bytes.  

Message 2 of 4
uptown30
Guide

I meant if I configure the ReadyNas to RAID1 and it has 4 bays with 8 Tb drive, how much disk space will I get (including metadata)

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@uptown30 wrote:

I meant if I configure the ReadyNas to RAID1 and it has 4 bays with 8 Tb drive, how much disk space will I get (including metadata)

You would need to use two-RAID-1 volumes in that case (since RAID-1 only works with 2 drives),

Each volume would be 8 TB (ignoring the small OS partition overhead), or 7.27 TiB.

RAID-0/jbod: 32 TB total (4 volumes recommended)

RAID-1: 16 TB total (two volumes)

RAID-5: 24 TB total (one volume)

RAID-6: 16 TB total (one volume, dual redundancy)

RAID-10: 16 TB total (one volume, near dual-redundancy, faster than RAID-6).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements