× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I cant access bay four, has the HD controller gone bad?

jxr02
Aspirant

I cant access bay four, has the HD controller gone bad?

I have a NV+ RND4000-100NAS (four bay) purchased new in 2011. I only get three lights on the led display 0n the fron of the device during operation, light four is not lit, although all four lights flash briefly at the initial boot process. I cannot access the disc on bay 4, I have tried replacing with a new drive, but it does not see the new drive either. Has the disc contoller gone bad? has anyone replaced a contoller? This is what I get from the PCI.log below:

0000:00:17.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 62) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 128, IRQ 27
I/O ports at 5c001000 [size=32]
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2

0000:00:17.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 62) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
I/O ports at 5c001020 [size=32]

0000:00:17.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 65) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
Memory at 000000005c010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: I cant access bay four, has the HD controller gone bad?

Hi @jxr02

Welcome to the Community!

While it is possible that the SATA controller is bad or has failed already, there might be a possibility that an issue on Power Supply Unit might be present.

Unfortunately, no spare parts would be available to replace just the SATA controller, you will have to purchase the same unit and transfer your disks. IMO, you will be better off purchasing a newer model NAS like the ReadyNAS OS 6 and migrate your disks through Data Recovery.

NETGEAR Support has that service if you plan on purchasing a new NAS. Here is the page for the OS 6 NAS units.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 8
jxr02
Aspirant

Hi Marc, what does PSU stand for?

Message 3 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jxr02

Power Supply Unit. There have been issues with the Power Supply unit but that might just be another issue wherein it is failing to provide power already. Usually the NAS itself won't power on anymore.

Regards

Message 4 of 8
jxr02
Aspirant

The unit is powering on and booting up just fine. The unit just cant see drive bay number 4 (there is no green led lit on the unit for that bay). the drive also shows as "dead" in frontview. I've swapped drives, but that doesnt change anything. Anyone else had this issue?

Message 5 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jxr02

How many drives you already tried inserting? If all of those still show 4th bay as dead then SATA controller might be the issue.

IMO, this would typically happen to an old unit but not all the time. I would purchase a new NAS already or at least another of the same unit.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

How many drives you already tried inserting? If all of those still show 4th bay as dead then SATA controller might be the issue.

Also try rebooting.  In some cases the drivers will disable the port, and when that happens you need to reboot to clear it.

Obviously it would be good to test the original drive.  The best way is to test it in a Windows PC (using either SATA or a USB adapter/dock) with vendor tools.  That would be Lifeguard for Western Digital, and Seatools for Seagate.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

I purchased a used unit (an Ultra-4 in my case) with one bay faluty, and it turned out to be the backplane, not the controller.  While parts are not available, you might be able to find a "parts only" NAS with a good backplane.  Or it may be time to move on.

The SATA backplane for the NV, NV+, NVX, Ultra4, and Pro4 are all the same, BTW.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements