× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND4000 - changing hard drives, will that erase data on older drives

deterset
Follower

RND4000 - changing hard drives, will that erase data on older drives

I pulled out the old drives and set them asside.

Then put in some different drives. The different drives are from a RNDX4000 NAS and they initialize automatically.

I wasn't expecting that.

Now If I take out the different drives and put the old drives back in will I lose all of the data ?

I need to still get to the data on the old drives. They were working fine.

I don't want them to be initalized.

The reason is the RNDX4000 was hit by lightning. Realy wanted to get the information off of thoes drives. Now I don't want to lose the information I had in the working RND4000.

Model: RND4000 |ReadyNAS NV+ v1|EOL
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4000 - changing hard drives, will that erase data on older drives

OS 4.x ReadyNAS all begin by formatting the drives when they are hot-inserted, and in many cases even when they are not hot-inserted. 

But if you power down, insert the old drives in their original slots, and then power up, then the system should simply resume operation with no reformatting or loss of data.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4000 - changing hard drives, will that erase data on older drives

OS 4.x ReadyNAS all begin by formatting the drives when they are hot-inserted, and in many cases even when they are not hot-inserted. 

But if you power down, insert the old drives in their original slots, and then power up, then the system should simply resume operation with no reformatting or loss of data.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements