× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Synology DS212j VS Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000

oorgg
Aspirant

Synology DS212j VS Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000

Hi,
I am thinking about buying ether a Synology DS212j or a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000.
I currently leaning towards the Synology due to the Netgears non standard file system.
Could anyone please tell me why I should go for the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000 instead?
Message 1 of 6
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Re: Synology DS212j VS Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000

X-raid netgear system is compliant with Linux raid. Using Mam your drive would be accessible under a Linux so. The ultra 2 is just faster than 212j.
However people bless synology for the software. However I cannot tell. But I can tell that I never manage to user netgear iOS app. So far only a plain FTP access works remotely. Also the photo sharing from netgear is not too bad. But I guess synology as their own.
If you are good at Linux server admin then you can go for netgear. If your are just a prosumer like me than be ready to spend hours with netgear.
Message 2 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

oorgg - All manufacturers of NAS boxes use a file storage system that will not allow the drives to be moved intact into another system that is not based on the same structure. You cannot for example move an array from an intel chip based NAS into one based on the Marvel ARM chips. The Synology DS212j according to their website has a Marvel ARM chip and only 256GB of memory putting it in line with the ReadyNAS Duo v2/NV+ v2 rather than the Ultra 2/2+/4/4+ which have a 64bit Intel Atom processor and 1GB of memory. The Synology 412+ has an Intel Atom processor with a 1GB processor in line with the Ultra series, except that Synology does not produce a 2 bay NAS with the memory and processor performance in line with the Ultra 2.

At least if you start with an Ultra 2/2+ and later decide to upgrade to an Ultra 4/4+/Pro4 you can simply migrate the drives over by placing them in the same respective bays and booting the 4 bay model. I would be totally surprised if you can do that between the Synology DS212J and DS412+. It would be like moving a disk from a PowerPC Mac to an Intel Mac and expecting it to boot.

Using either Raid1 or X-Raid2, you should be able to attach either disk to a PC running Linux and read the data partition. However, once you get beyond a 2 bay Raid structure to three and above (Raid 5 or 6) the data is spread across the drives so attempting to read the data from array is very difficult no matter the manufacturer. The best way to recover the data if the NAS fails is to simply place the array into a compatible enclosure and boot. You have the advantage with an Ultra 2 in that you can insert the 2 drive array into any Pro/NVX/Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro series, a range of 13 different models. (Four in the original Pro/NVX models and nine in the current Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro models).

I have personally transferred my primary array (NAS1) from an NVX Pioneer to a NVX Business Edition to a new Pro 6 intact. The backup array was recreated when it was moved from an NV+ to the NVX Pioneer and was easily transferred from the NVX Pioneer to the NVX Business Edition. By starting with the Ultra 2 you have a wide range of models for growth potential without having to re-establish the array.

I would like to point out that no matter which NAS you go with, with only one, be sure to maintain a current and complete backup.
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No ReadyNAS uses proprietary RAID. The filesystem used is not proprietary. Data recovery is possible using a PC especially one running Linux. What is proprietary is the expansion scripts used to automatically expand volumes.

For the Ultra 2, in a Linux PC, You would use mdadm to start the RAID, scan for volumes and then mount them. If you don't have the necessary packages installed they could easily be installed using apt-get.

Having said that most users would consider moving arrays from one ReadyNAS to another on the same platform to be easier. Also remember the ReadyNAS Ultra Series has a 3 year warranty.
Message 4 of 6
oorgg
Aspirant

Thank you all for your replies! I have red them with great interest! Still have not made up my mind. I red in other forums about the complex netgear file system but the things i red there seemed to be not entirerly true... The synology seems easier but the netgear much faster....
Thanks again!
Message 5 of 6
kcrossley
Aspirant

oorgg wrote:
Thank you all for your replies! I have red them with great interest! Still have not made up my mind. I red in other forums about the complex netgear file system but the things i red there seemed to be not entirerly true... The synology seems easier but the netgear much faster....
Thanks again!

What did you end up going with?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements