× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What Ready Nas

Richard1982
Aspirant

What Ready Nas

I picked up this readynas duo from a friend who owed me some money.

I was going to drop it on ebay after testing it but I have had nothing but issues with it.

I dropped a drive in it and waited for a bit, it loaded the os itself (i think)

After a while I hit the web interface and clicked a few buttons to get the system up and running.

I then checked the firmware and done a update to : 4.1.16

I then upgraded the ram from 256mb to 512mb as I had a stick laying about.

I tried to access a shared folder and just could not get in, after some digging about I found it was windows 10 blocking access as the readynas duo was only running smb 1.

I checked for updates using the build in update checker to find no updates, so I hit the netgear website and downloaded an upgate v5.3.13 but it keep failing to install, I tried in chrome and IE.

I also tried to load 6.9.2 with no luck.

I am feeling like the box is a V1 and not V2 as the sticker on the bottom states.

Any help on this would be great.

IMG_20180213_204612.jpg

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: What Ready Nas

wrote:

ok, next question is am I stuck at firmware version 4 with no samba v2/3 ?

Yes.  OS 5.x also is SMB 1.0.

There is experimental support for SMB 2.0 in the Samba version your Duo  uses, but I don't know how reliable that is.  To enable it you'd have to first enable SSH by installing an add-on, and then log into the linux shell and tinker with a configuration file.  Note that the OS is installed on the disks, so anyone installing new disks would need to repeat this procedure.

My own Duo v1 is used only to back up bigger/faster NAS, and I only have rsync enabled on it.

As far as performance goes, SMB speed is ~15-20 MB/s on a gigabit network.  Disk size is limited to 2 TB, because GPT formatting is not supported.  This model was replaced by the v2 in November, 2011.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It is a Duo v1 that uses a sparc processor.  More pedantically, it is hardware revision 2 of the Duo v1.  

The labeling is confusing - Netgear should have branded the Duo v2 differently.

A Duo v2 would have a v2 label on front  and the part number would end with -200UKS.

duo v2 500x500.jpg

Message 2 of 6
Richard1982
Aspirant

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

Yes.  OS 5.x also is SMB 1.0.

There is experimental support for SMB 2.0 in the Samba version your Duo  uses, but I don't know how reliable that is.  To enable it you'd have to first enable SSH by installing an add-on, and then log into the linux shell and tinker with a configuration file.  Note that the OS is installed on the disks, so anyone installing new disks would need to repeat this procedure.

My own Duo v1 is used only to back up bigger/faster NAS, and I only have rsync enabled on it.

As far as performance goes, SMB speed is ~15-20 MB/s on a gigabit network.  Disk size is limited to 2 TB, because GPT formatting is not supported.  This model was replaced by the v2 in November, 2011.

Message 4 of 6
Richard1982
Aspirant

OK ... A update incase anyone else can make use of this :

I hit google and found the add-ons you mentioned here

Then I used putty and logged in and found the samba file at : /etc/samba/smb.conf

I tried to use nano to edit it to find it was not installed so I had to use vi and I needed google to remember the commands for editing, save and exit. Anyway I added the lines :

min protocol = SMB2

max protocol = SMB2

at the end of the [global] section.

I then rebooted the system and mapped the network drive in windows 10 at the command line : 

net use t: \\192.168.1.115\Share /user:admin Pa55W0rd

and bam! All working ...

I then done a few tests and got an average of 9.3MB upload to the NAS and 11.3MB download (nothing on my DS1812+)

So .. The box does work ... Thanks for the push in the right direction, I didnt know the box was over 6 years old.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you're up and running.

Many Windows systems now include an NFS client that can be turned on, so that is potentially another way to go.

@Richard1982 wrote:

nothing on my DS1812+

That NAS is similar to the ReadyNAS 300 series, and is of course much faster.  Currently shipping ReadyNAS can all saturate a gigabit connection for sustained file transfers.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements