Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to change Netgear Genies password because kids are downloading it too & changing settings!

Danielle1979
Guide

How to change Netgear Genies password because kids are downloading it too & changing settings!

Could someone please tell me how I can prevent my kids from downloading the Netgear Genie app and changing the settings? Too bad everythings available online on how to get around everything because they sure did figure it out! I log into the Netgear Genie to find they take parental controls off, take blocks off if they're not allowed to use wifi, etc! Very irritating but if someone could tell me how to change the userId/password on the Netgear Genie app from "admin" and "password" as the default, I can prevent this from happening! PLEASE HELP, Thank you!!!
Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: How to change Netgear Genies password because kids are downloading it too & changing setting

I don't know if you can change the router's admin password through the Genie app.  No matter.  Log into the router from a web browser and change the password.  Note: Even if you change the password, they may be smart enough to reset the router.  

Honestly, it sounds like there is a discipline problem.  Change the admin password and announce that there will be "consequences" if you discover that it has been changed.

Message 2 of 3
Danielle1979
Guide

Re: How to change Netgear Genies password because kids are downloading it too & changing setting

Sure I'll try that from the desktop, thanks for trying to help! As for the discipline, there's isn't an issue as I've always been a firm (and strict in areas) mother! It's just a 16 year-old child that thinks he's treated like a baby & feels certain rules should not apply to him! However, disciplinary action has already took place no worries! Thanks
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7