Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: issue with netgear live parental controls through opendns - issue resolved

cgigipaul
Initiate

issue with netgear live parental controls through opendns

I am facing an issue with LPC - OpenDNS.

Initially i had problem with creating the free OpenDNS account (seems it requires minimum 15 characters with all the condition met). Once the ID got created, i am unable to connect through Netgear Genie - desktop client. I had tried this with Android mobile and iPAD as well, no luck so far. directly on the OpenDNS portal (https://community.opendns.com), id work and i am able to login.

Since, i am not able to connect through Netgear Genie clinet (PC/Mobile/iPAD), unable to Enable the Parental Control. Any help on this is highly appreciated.

When I try with the correct password, get the message "There was an error signing in, please make sure you're connected to the internet and try again"

With the wrong password - "Oops, we don't recognize that username or password. Try again"

Router Model DGN2200v4

Netgear Genie version 2.4.16 Router Firmware version V1.0.0.66

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
cgigipaul
Initiate

Issue has been now resolved and able to Enable Parental Control.

Few learning

1. Router to be flashed with latest Firmware.
  2. While creating OpenDNS account, minimum password length is 15 characters in line with password policy (guide refer only 8). Once, OpenDNS ID activated, this can change to 8 characters.
  3. For the first time, there may be some delay in activating the Parental Control.

Issue faced - Parental Control status shows Enabled with OpenDNS portal, Netgear Genie. However, when you access Router through internet browser (192.168.0.1), it shows Parental Control is Disabled, which was the actual status. First time, it took some time (for me one day) to get sync with all location. Probably, there may be some issue at OpenDNS / Netgear and coinciding while I am configuring. Now, it gets reflect very fast.

For the last one week, Router is working satisfactorily. I had raised couple of Support Ticket with Netgear team in the process of configuration and I am happy with their responses.

I was using BSNL VMC router for past 5 years, replaced with Netgear DGN2200-100PES N300 Wireless ADSL2 and MOD Router. This was mainly to set Parental Control with the internet connection, with BSNL VMC router, it was quite difficult and need to provide IP address of each sites that need to be blocked. On the WiFi coverage, both gives almost same signal strength.  Netgear DGN2200 is sufficient for an apartment size of  2 to 3BHK provided you host near to center of the house. With my experience, open space coverage is about 20 to 24feet, through walls 10 to 14feet for a decent network reception.

Regards,

Gigi Paul 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: issue with netgear live parental controls through opendns

Hi @cgigipaul,

You should be able to login to your OpenDNS account through the NETGEAR Genie and manage your LPC (Live Parental Controls) settings.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
cgigipaul
Initiate

Issue has been now resolved and able to Enable Parental Control.

Few learning

1. Router to be flashed with latest Firmware.
  2. While creating OpenDNS account, minimum password length is 15 characters in line with password policy (guide refer only 8). Once, OpenDNS ID activated, this can change to 8 characters.
  3. For the first time, there may be some delay in activating the Parental Control.

Issue faced - Parental Control status shows Enabled with OpenDNS portal, Netgear Genie. However, when you access Router through internet browser (192.168.0.1), it shows Parental Control is Disabled, which was the actual status. First time, it took some time (for me one day) to get sync with all location. Probably, there may be some issue at OpenDNS / Netgear and coinciding while I am configuring. Now, it gets reflect very fast.

For the last one week, Router is working satisfactorily. I had raised couple of Support Ticket with Netgear team in the process of configuration and I am happy with their responses.

I was using BSNL VMC router for past 5 years, replaced with Netgear DGN2200-100PES N300 Wireless ADSL2 and MOD Router. This was mainly to set Parental Control with the internet connection, with BSNL VMC router, it was quite difficult and need to provide IP address of each sites that need to be blocked. On the WiFi coverage, both gives almost same signal strength.  Netgear DGN2200 is sufficient for an apartment size of  2 to 3BHK provided you host near to center of the house. With my experience, open space coverage is about 20 to 24feet, through walls 10 to 14feet for a decent network reception.

Regards,

Gigi Paul 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7