× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 - DumaOS 3.0 Beta Firmware

Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Hey! NG are still working on the issues mentioned in this thread, unforunately I don't really have much of an update I can provide though!

Issues like these don't occur for everyone and sometimes can appear to be environment specific, that's why they can be so hard to fix.

Thanks for following up nonetheless though and thanks for your support!

Message 301 of 586
UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

While the complexity of the issues are understood and appreciated, the time it takes to resolve is completely unacceptable.  Considering that this issue seems to affect multiple models, the responsiveness is far beyond reasonable expectations for a company to resolve.   

Message 302 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I appreciate that, it's a frustrating issue and we are doing our best to get it sorted as quickly as we can
Message 303 of 586
UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

IF we were truly get the "best", this issue would have already been resolved.  

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I appreciate that, it's a frustrating issue and we are doing our best to get it sorted as quickly as we can

Message 304 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

Dude do you even know who does what for this firmware? Honestly anyone who's got a NetDuma badge could really give 3 dookie pies about your class action lawsuits and constant complaints about DHCP. NetDuma is only responsible for the DumaOS side, everything else that's in settings (you know the category with the N that holds all the routers basic functions) is handled by NETGEAR. And coming from someone who is familiar with those inner workings, they sub out sections for independent dev teams all over the world to work on that part of the firmware. So basically every NETGEAR router is a pieced together Frankenstein firmware from a slew of independent dev teams. These XR series happen to have a bit of extra muscle to handle NetDuma's gaming platform over top NETGEAR'S Frankenstein firmware. So not that your issue is falling on deaf ears here, but you're kinda barking up the wrong tree.
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 305 of 586
UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

Of course, I know who does what.  That is why I posted this on the Netgear website and not the Netduma website.  You have no clue what problems and issues that I am having, so please kindly keep your opinion about my problems to yourself.  

Message 306 of 586
SuicideSquad420
Apprentice

any new updates on when the xr700 is getting a new beta build are not? hopefully it's soon

Message 307 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@SuicideSquad420 we don't give out any ETAs on when firmware will be available as it is always subject to change. We are working hard to get a new version available as soon as possible.
Message 308 of 586
xr700user
Aspirant

how do you get the dumos 3 to work ? the app with phone doesnt detect it, and the downlaod is just an image the file isnt working

Message 309 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Download the file, access the router interface, go to Settings > Administration > Firmware Update and upload the file there. Once you've upgraded you will be able to use the DumaOS app.
Message 310 of 586
JNewms
Guide

It’s pretty wild that it’s been 6 months since the first beta was released and there hasn’t been a second one yet. Is the 700 just not a priority any longer? I remember watching the betas for the other XR models and they were released much more quickly.

Basically, I’m just wondering if it’s time for me to retire the 700 and find a router that handles fiber speeds properly that is still being supported.
Message 311 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We are still supporting it not to worry, as we work on DumaOS as a whole and then port it to the different architectures once one update comes out you'll likely see the other routers like the 700 follow suit. I do appreciate it has been awhile, we're working as fast as we can.
Message 312 of 586
BusBat
Star

Hey Devs,

I have been waiting and waiting for a new release of the 3.0 for XR700.

I appreciate that you are working, but do tell why it's been 6 months (!) since the first beta and that nothing SEEMS to have happened.

I'm sure that's not the case, but even if I'm eager to the functionallity of the new DumaOS, I've not upgraded because I use my network for business.

But, I will now have a go and hopefully the Beta will work fine, if not I will downgrade.

It will take some time, but that's always the risk with beta - right?  😉

Anyway, please give a little more info than "we are working" - since I don't think I'm alone (looking at the thread) in wondering what is going on.

The info doesn't have to be on NDA-level, but please TRY to give a clue on what is going on and if you need the communitys help - if we can.

Thank you for a superb router OS - the best I've seen beside the "biggies" for business (that cost A LOT more).

I've recommended Netgear with DumaOS to everyone, since it is in it's own league.

NO ONE has regretted it!

All the best from Sweden

Message 313 of 586
zero647
Initiate

I am also waiting on a new beta version and hopefully it will have the auto set up feature for the QOS upload dowload sliders, like the xr1000 3.0 has now.  The xr700 is basicly the most expensive and most powerful hardware router out of the xr series to date and i kinda feel like we are in the back of the line with updates. i hope this can change.

Message 314 of 586
TOOMUCHSAUCE
Apprentice

Don't worry guys the new beta build it on it's way!!!  Scheduled for release in just a few days (and years Smiley Wink) 6/21/2029! By then all of you will have moved on and we can officially announce EOL for this router and end this charade!  

Message 315 of 586
UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

I can appreciate and understand complex problems that hard difficult to replicate and solve.   I can also understand delays, Covid 19, resource issues, etc.   I don't understand the lack of communication and status (even the most basic version).  

Here is my understanding of the situation, there are various issues on the XR700 that also seem to affect other XR routers. For efficiency to resolve the issues, Netgear has chosen to focus XR5000, which is more popular with a larger user base.  Once the issues have been resolved in the XR500, the changes will be ported to the other routers.   In the case of the DHCP issues, another version of the XR500 firmware was released to provide advanced logging and test a possible fix.  Several users have provided data to Netgear that is being reviewed by engineering, but the problem is difficult to replicate.   

Is this status correct?  What are the next steps in the process?  What is the status of the other issues?

Message 316 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@UK_Wildcats Not necessarily focused on the XR500 but as you said it has a larger customer base which is useful for issues like these, it's also been the beta that has been out for the longest but yes that is the current situation basically. I have asked the NG lead what the current status is, when I have some news I will let you know
Message 317 of 586
BusBat
Star

Thank you for a date for the new firmare.

"the new beta build it on it's way!!!"  "Scheduled for release 6/21/2029"

21st of june is in my calendar now...Smiley Very Happy

Sincerelly,

/Richard

Message 318 of 586
neebs
Initiate

BusBat made a great point and an effort in writing a question with dignity, why can't you guys provide him with a respons with mutual respect? The silence from Netgear speaks for itself i guess.. They have either too few devs working on this, or as someone else said, focus on another router they sell more of or will be releasing soon.

I paid roughly 447 E for the X10 and 527 E for XR700, how much do you think Im suppose to pay, as a customer, to recieve Top Class Support with new firmware?
When you first release these models, for that amount, customers expect The Best. So faar, i've could have gotten a DLink or Asus for 100-200 E and gotten 3x the support. What would you think will happen in the future once you've pissed so many people off?

Not Acceptable!

Pls hire more then 1 dev on this.. show some effort.
Message 319 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

I whole heatedly agree with most of these responses. However, I have first haha knowledge of how the Netgear firmware devs work, you'd all be pretty disappointed honestly. Now, that being said, NetDuma actually have IN HOUSE devs who actually do give 2 crippity crappy craps about what they release and how long it takes. They actually are the only reason I bought the xr700 since I've used and tested tons of other Netgear routers with OP hardware and it just falls short due to firmware. I wouldn't be surprised if NetDuma already had their ducks in a row with the 3.0 porting for every model. Netgear on the other hand throws bits and pieces of firmware sections to independent developers (not even teams, individual developers) and it's basically a Frankenstein firmware cut and pasted here and there too make something that resembles a functioning piece of....work. AND on that note I'll leave with this thought for everyone that's mad. Who responds to this thread and almost all XR threads? Is it Netgear or NetDuma? My only wish (and probably now theirs too) is that NetDuma actually decided to partner with a better router company. I give props to NetDuma but imo Netgear constantly drops the ball on firmware and if they had an in house dev team for every model (that's not EOL) they'd have a much better product, support and customer base.
Message 320 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@neebs I aimed my response at wildcats as his was the latest response at the time but it covered both messages. This is a community forum so it is not the place for specific responses from Netgear, you can make a ticket with them directly and they will reply when they can. We (Netduma) are responding all the time to every topic posted requesting support etc, I won't always have the answers or the answers you want to hear but I will always do my best to ensure you get the best support and have the most up to date information that I have. Our team has grown substantially and that has helped a lot, we're doing our very best to provide firmware when possible.
Message 321 of 586
BusBat
Star

Dearest DumaOS Devs and associates,

There was a date on this forum about next scheduled Beta-version of 3.0 for XR700.

I'm writing since the 21st of june has passed - is there a new date for a scheduled release?

I realize that the Devs might be spending time looking at the Euro Fotball Cup... 🙂  But, till: it would be nice to get the planned date for the next release of the 3.0 Beta for the XR700.

I love the new polygon possibilty in 3.0 on a map instead of the circle - but I find that the Beta from december 2020 seems to have difficulty with QoS and that is why I'm so eager to get the latest beta. Why? I try to watch the Fotball matches as well....

All the best (and boy, do I regret giving my former XR500 router to my elderly son). Cheers from Sweden.

Message 322 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The date you're referring to was a sarcastic comment from another user, not an actual date for when a new firmware will be released. We don't give out any specific dates, hoping it won't be too much longer.
Message 323 of 586
BusBat
Star

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
The date you're referring to was a sarcastic comment from another user, not an actual date for when a new firmware will be released. We don't give out any specific dates, hoping it won't be too much longer.it was true...

Thanks Fraser, I kinda believed that was the case. But since it wasn't responded I kinda HOPED it was true... Boy, do I long for the new Beta. The current has difficulties to retain the settings. In short: More Alpha than Beta in my POW.

I was attached as a beta tester for Microsoft OS for about 10-15 years and I do understand difficulties to get things and challenges sorted for devs. But with a more or less fixed hardware a lot of the trouble you can encounter in the PC world is eliminated... Apparently there are som big challenges since it's been more than 6 months (!!!) since the first Beta. Just can't stop thinking what they might be. Sorry for my interest in this that is far beyond "average Joe".

Interesting forum this - I have never encountered references to Frankenstein earlier.... This is a first.  :-). True or not.  🙂

Again, thanks for fast responding. But if there isn't a new date soon I'm forced to go back to the original. It has an interface that is old, but the settings don't go away. The 3.0 GUI is by far a lot simpler for almost everyone. So, Kudos for that to the Dev team!!

Cheers /Richard aka BusBat

Message 324 of 586
TOOMUCHSAUCE
Apprentice

Well, I finally gave up and boy it feels liberating. First, I gave up long ago on Netgear fixing issues with my r7000 and the 5 ghz band dropping issues. Replaced that with a linksys mr9000 and never looked back. Now I have given up on my xr700 and replaced it with a tp-link ax11000 ($300 at Costco) and once again, I'll never look back. It doesn't have all the gaming bells and whistles, but it delivers 2x the throughput on all my devices on the 5ghz channel, and is rock stable with good support, so it's a completely moot issue for me. This is probably my last post on any Netgear forum, certainly I won't be buying another Netgear router ever, as hard lessons have been learned about their care for the customer. Good luck to you all, someday we will get an official duma os 3.0 release that we deserved a year ago, perhaps sooner than my 6/21/2029 prediction, and maybe the router will actually be somewhat serviceable again. But in the meantime cheaper, far superior routers exist and I had to move on. I feel for the few duma os guys, I feel like their hearts were in the right place, but the Netgear brass apparently doesn't have a clue about customer loyalty or retention. Peace out.

Message 325 of 586
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7