× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect all my wireless devices to XR450

Octobermom
Follower

Cannot connect all my wireless devices to XR450

Installed router yesterday.  Did get a speed bump from 130/6 to 180/6 but only 18 out of around 60 devices would connect.  I factory reset and reset the router multiple times and finally everything connected.  Today I've got about 20 devices off line and they are swapping around.  One will connect and another will drop off.  I got my ipad to connect for all of 10 seconds then it dropped off.  I could't get my son's xbox to connect until I set it up as a static ip address.  Is this router not suitible for a smart house?  Many of the wireless devices are smart switches and we have a few hubs attached.  We do a lot of streaming and gaming too.  Our last night hawk which died this week had no issues.  

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cannot connect all my wireless devices to XR450

I have about 35 devices connected with my XR450. However about 20 of those are wireless only. 60 devices maybe to many for a single dual band router.Maybe one reason why your prior router died. Possible you may need to off load to help with band width maximums and the ability to connect all devices wirelessly. Something like a EX7700 or EX8000 maybe needed. 

I recommend wiring the game console as well. Wired is preferred for gaming. 

Is Beamforming and MIMO enabled? 
How about Airtime Fairness? 

Message 2 of 3
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: Cannot connect all my wireless devices to XR450

You should still be ok to connect all these devices - the XR450 can handle many, many devices (NETGEAR test for this).

Do you have Smart Connect enabled? It might be worth disabling this and just picking and choosing which devices you want on each band to reduce the pressure on one band.

It's worth also trying to avoid using a congested channel, for example, channel 11 is usually a congested channel for 2.4GHz (you can use a free  WiFi scanner to find the best channel)

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7