× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Update Failed (RX1000)

nighthoes
Tutor

Firmware Update Failed (RX1000)

Model: NightHawk XR1000

First of all, I don't understand why such a prominent product is not even available in the product dropdown list provided for New Discussion. It's highly suspect...like end of life suspicious.

I just updated the firmware, manually because the DumaOS function failed to find any updates. Searching Netgear, I found that the default 1.0.0.58xxxx had an update to 1.0.0.64.

I downloaded it, and the internet is back up, but the management portal is screwed.

When I try to load routerlogin.netWhen I try to load routerlogin.netFiles downloaded from Netgear.Files downloaded from Netgear.

This is really disappointing.  I purchased this after a self-titled network engineer's review on Amazon, despite my bad vibes overall with consumer grade products pimped with shiny boxes and chassis, but which don't live up to the hype.

Anyone have any fix tips?  Netgear, are you there? @netgear 

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

1. this is the public support forum where members of the public help out. The netduma guys are on here and super active so you'll probably see a post from them. Less likely on a mod.

2. anytime there's an issues after a firmware upgrade, I usually recommend starting with a factory reset. maybe an old setting is causing an issue

3. I'd agree that most consumer gear is a bit overblown. Its hard to beat the business grade or home brew equipment. 

Message 2 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is always recommended to do a factory reset after an upgrade and I suspect this is one of those times that doing so will resolve the issue you're seeing. Let us know if that resolves it!

It's certainly not EOL.
Message 3 of 12
nighthoes
Tutor

Thanks @Netduma-Fraser for adding to the conversation.  

I can confirm that the error cleared after clearing my browser cache, and I can login to the router again.

However, I now have this error reappearing on every app and management page:

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 15.51.41.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-15 at 15.54.20.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-15 at 16.48.02.png

I will try the suggestion, and I think that means I need to backup the configuration, since your suggestion seems to be to delete everything, which will clear my settings but keep the firmware upgrade?

Message 4 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't suggest doing a backup and then restoring as you could then reintroduce issues. Better to factory reset, confirm no visual issues occurring, make your changes then make a backup so that if you need to reset again on this version you can restore.

It will wipe settings but keep the firmware version.
Message 5 of 12
nighthoes
Tutor

I was going to say the thought of an old setting makes sense, but that's an unfortunate recommendation, that I have to wipe out everything. Configuring a network is time consuming.  There should be more elegant solutions to this.   Essentially this means that my configuration is rendered a problematic every time I upgrade firmware.

What do you think about comparing pre upgrade and post upgrade configuration files side by side to find this bad line? Is there any other approach to debugging this?

Message 6 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're interested here is a good explanation of why it is recommended and why you shouldn't restore a backup: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

In terms of comparing the backup files I don't think it is a readable format, I don't have an XR at hand currently to double check. Even if it is, it's probably not going to be apparent what would cause the issue. For example, if something is removed/changed between versions and you've saved an old/removed setting then trying to restore that would cause a problem.
Message 7 of 12
nighthoes
Tutor

@plemans @Netduma-Fraser Thanks for the insight guys.  I will try and reply.

Message 8 of 12
nighthoes
Tutor

Today I finally restored my router to factory defaults after a firmware update, and I'm still having the same problem. Every page displays this stupid error.

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 16.48.02.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-15 at 15.54.20.png

Message 9 of 12
nighthoes
Tutor

Re: New - XR1000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.64 Released

Is there a fix for this post-update problem??? (XR1000)

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 15.54.20.png

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using?

Be sure to clear out all browser before and after entering the routers web page. 

Does this happen with other browsers?

Happen with a different PC or laptop? 

What happens if you revert back to v.58 FW? 

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Good questions above.

Could you also clarify if you're using any browser plug-ins such as an adblocker?

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7