× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pro Nighthawk Routers

Twitch_Yesipost
Aspirant

Pro Nighthawk Routers

So i recently moved house and have found out the wifi here is terrible i have spent weeks trying to fidn the fasts speeds but it seems that all the companys offer the same speed (24-40 download) So my question is will the nighthawk routers offer me the same speed or better?

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you asking about download speeds for ISP services? Most current wifi routers support around 500Mpbs on wireless, depending upon your wireless device and it's design and support. Most 5Ghz AC class devices max out at around 500Mpbs. Wired 1000Mpbs should see near 900Mpbs or just over with a wired PC or laptop. 

ISP regulates speeds on there network. So contact them for official speeds and packages they offer. 

Modems used as well can impact operations and performances. Stand alone modems are recommended for use with external routers such as NG XR series routers. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/What-s-the-Difference-Between-a-Cable-Modem-an...

Message 2 of 12
Twitch_Yesipost
Aspirant

Yeah so my isp is giving me speeds of around 30 download 5-7 upload and most isps around my area offer the same and no higher so can the nighthawk boost my speeds up much higher?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

No, no router can do that. Again, speeds are regulated by the ISP so they will be capped at the ISP level. No router can boost speeds from the ISP. 

Message 4 of 12
Twitch_Yesipost
Aspirant

Ah okay so i need to wait until fibre gets here then i take it

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Even then regardless of ISP or speed, wifi routers don't boost speed. Yes Fiber does offer faster speeds. Will depend on what the ISP sets up and offiers for customers to use. If they have 1Gb speeds then with most any current router, you should see near 900Mpbs on a wired connection, WAN to LAN. 

I'm on a 1Gb/50Mpbs speed package here. All my routers support 900mpbs on speet tests. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

900mpbs on speed tests...

Message 7 of 12
Twitch_Yesipost
Aspirant

Must be nice i cant seem to find anything that can provie me with more than 40 download lmao

Message 8 of 12
Twitch_Yesipost
Aspirant

Do you know any other way than fibre i can get high speeds?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully Fiber will when it goes in for you. 

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Whos your ISP? 

All depends on what your local ISPs support. They control the speeds. Nothing that we can change. 

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above, only an Internet Service Provider can provide you internet and higher speeds. There is no device/router that you can use to increase it. Perhaps you could look into using a mobile plan, that may be able to offer you higher speeds, worse ping most likely though.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7