× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QOS broken

Macky263
Tutor

QOS broken

I have set up the router fully.

The network monitor shows one computer to be using all the bandwidth. This computer is either streaming or browsing, it is never gaming or using Skype/Facetime.

I have bought this router so as to play games whilst this computer streams and browses, it has had 0 effect, here is what I have tried:

> Under QOS, I have put the browsing computer down to as much as 1% allocated bandwidth. It's usage in Network monitor is  identical to before.

> Under QOS, I have used Anti-Bufferbloat at multiple levels between 5 and 95 %. The browsing computer remains at the exact same network usage.

> Under Device manager, I tried blocking the browsing computer, and it did stop, however this is of course unsustainable.

Is this not supposed to be the whole USP of the router? My gaming traffic can go first? What have I done wrong?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - how much bandwidth is this device reguarly using? And what are your total bandwidth speeds

On Bandwidth Allocation, if you want to apply strict rules, you have to disable Share Excess, but I would not recommend this as it limits the connection speed on all devices on your network.

What mode is Anti-Bufferbloat set to? If you want it to reduce the bandwidth immediately, you should use Always mode.

Finally, if the computer is regularly torrenting, make sure you find the option in the Torrent to toggle it to use TCP instead.

Here's our QoS optimal settings guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-q...

Message 2 of 17
Macky263
Tutor

My device uses very little bandwidth whilst gaming. Almost every other device in the house downloads, and so uses the full bandwidth.

The total bandwidth of the internet is between 2.5 and 4.5 mbps.

Always mode has changed nothing, as I have had it on a while now to no effect.

I do not torrent.

It is crucial that I can somehow solve this because the other devices always have downloads running in the backgrounds which activate upon connecting to the router, which their users are unaware of. When I am playing it uses maybe 0.2mbps or so, so I see no reason why that is not being prioritised. I have also tried traffic prioritisation to no effect, using the ports for Rainbow Six Siege as listed elsewhere in the forums.

Message 3 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your exact physical setup? Are ALL devices connected to the router? Are you using VLAN, PPPoE or IPv6?
Message 4 of 17
Macky263
Tutor

I don't know what you mean by physical setup, VLAN, PPPoE or IPv6.

My gaming pc is connected by ethernet, all other devices are connected via wifi.

Message 5 of 17
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

But they're all connected to the XR500 and not to the upstream router/modem?

And on the Network Setup page, how are you connected? Did you have to enter a login to get the router working?

And on the IPv6 page, is it set to Disabled or not?

Message 6 of 17
Macky263
Tutor

I believe they are connected to the xr500, as the only wifi channels available are the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels labelled NETGEAR85 and NETGEAR85-5 or something.

I did some kind of login for the modem and router, though I can't remember specifics.

Ipv6 reads: Internet connection type - disabled.

Message 7 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In regards to PPPoE if you look in Internet Setup does it require a login? Have you added any manual entries to Traffic Prioritization?
Message 8 of 17
Macky263
Tutor

I am assuming you mean this:

Settings > Setup > Internet setup > Does your internet require a login? - No.

I see nothing about 'PPPoE'.

I manually entered the Siege ports.

Message 9 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is DumaOS Classified Games still enabled? When the PC that uses a lot of bandwidth is streaming are prioritized download packets on Traffic Prioritization information updating rapidly?
Message 10 of 17
Macky263
Tutor

DumaOS classified games is enabled.

I do not currently know as whether packets update rapidly whislt the other PCs are on.

I am assuming you believe everything is being prioritised, shall I just turn off DumaOS games, given that I cannot make the other PCs come on?

Message 11 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes thats right, thats my thinking at the moment. That would be good thanks, once disabled see if just by using Anti-Bufferbloat at 70/70 it can resolve the lag issue.
Message 12 of 17
Macky263
Tutor

I have used the anti-Bufferbloat at 70-70 for a while now. It simply isn't stopping devices surpassing the set limit - the alleged limit at 70% is around 2.0mbps and yet lone devices consistently go up beyond 3.0 causing lag.

Message 13 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have Anti-Bufferbloat set to 'Always'?
Message 14 of 17
Macky263
Tutor

Yes. I always have.

Message 15 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you provide a screenshot of your entire QoS page please?
Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Mines set for When High Priority Traffic Is Detected. Been good here.

System Uptime 06:23:47:47

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7