× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Strange Problem XR1000

G4Captain
Star

Strange Problem XR1000

I have a really unusual problem that started last week with my XR1000. The router seems to be randomly dropping the internet connection, while still maintaining the wifi signal. Any device connected with wifi shows the network available, but there is not internet available. It's done this several times in the last week or so.

Last night, it also lost the ethernet connection. On a device that is connected via ethernet to the router I was unable to connect to the internet. I logged in to the router settings to see if I could figure out the issue, but the DumaOS crashed in the middle of changing menus and said I was no longer connected to the router.

The router is currently using the latest firmware 1.0.0.64, and no changes were made to any setting prior to this starting to happen. 

I have no idea what is causing this or how to even begin to address this issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Strange Problem XR1000

What modem/gateway is it connected to?

Message 2 of 8
G4Captain
Star

I have FIOS that's by Frontier now instead of Verizon. It's connected thru the old Actiontec router from Verizon that's in bridge mode. I've been running this way for a number of years without any issues. Nothing changed with the service.

I have to use the Actiontec still as it's a coax connection and all the guide/on screen programming for the tv is done by the Actiontec, at least that's what they tell me.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

It wouldn't be the first poorly implemented bridge mode that I've seen or an ISP that pushed an update to their device that fubar'd something. 

Try putting the ISP device back in router mode (disable its wifi) and put the netgears IP address into its DMZ. that should automatically forward all the data to the netgear. see if that helps

Message 4 of 8
G4Captain
Star

I will give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
G4Captain
Star

So that didn't fix it.

The next thing I'm going to try is a factory reset when I get home in a few days, and then update again to the latest firmware. If that doesn't solve it, I guess the next step would be a new router as I would assume it's some kind of internal failure.

Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.
Message 7 of 8
G4Captain
Star

Thanks. I won't be home for a few days to try it, but I will when I get back.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7