× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 continuous connectivity issues (no internet for devices)

howmaybesgo
Aspirant

XR1000 continuous connectivity issues (no internet for devices)

I have had some weird issues where devices can't connect to the 2.4 ssid and now this morning almost all devices were unable to connect to the internet (wifi and hardline).  Router showed good connection, devices were able to ping 8.8.8.8 but could not load any sites.  Only one PC was able to connect to the internet with no intervention and it was on wifi.  DHCP leases seemed to be all over the place with my PC pulling a duplicate IP that was already assigned to a smart home device.  At this time there were NO static IP's assigned.  I restarted both modem and router along with PC's.  Ended up changing DHCP range and assigning static IP's for PC's.  All of the sudden I have internet now. Why is this thing so inconsistent? I am not blocking any devices and there is no QOS turned on.

Update edit: I am no longer able to access the router on hardline PC but still have internet access..... 

Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR1000 continuous connectivity issues (no internet for devices)

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 2 of 22
howmaybesgo
Aspirant

Edit: Using CAT6
Modem: Arris Surfboard SB8200

Estate lot neighborhood so I may see neighbors but they are not close enough to connect to.
I think 2.4 is auto but not sure about 5.

I can't even access the router currently.  The issue is not isolated to wifi as my personal PC is hardwired and it also was seeing this issue.  I was able to ping 8.8.8.8 but could not load any web sites.  That being said, my work laptop which is on wifi seemed to be the only PC that was able to connect to the internet (no static IP assigned).  I changed the DHCP pool to .2-.240 and started setting static IP assignments for other PC's on the network and that seemed to work. 

Also noticed when I switched my personal PC over to wifi for testing, there was a duplicate lease on the .37 address.  Was assigned to my PC and my home security base station. When the PC was hardwired it pulled the .11 which wasn't a duplicate but the router did not show it online.  Again, able to access router and ping 8.8.8.8 but not able to load web sites.

I won't be able to perform a factory reset until after work as I don't want to break what is currently working. Able to ping the router but cannot access the router config by browsing to its IP.  Get the message "this site can't be reached".

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 4 of 22
howmaybesgo
Aspirant

Added this as edit but will include as response.

Using CAT6
Modem: Arris Surfboard SB8200

Estate lot neighborhood so I may see neighbors but they are not close enough to connect to.
I think 2.4 is auto channel but not sure about 5.

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I've heard of other SB8200 users having issues with there modems on there ISP services. Please first ensure the ISP service signal on the coax line up to the modem is in good working condition and to spec for the modems Mfr specifications. 

When you can, try changing to manual channels, after you can do a factory reset and setup from scratch. Also don't set any custom DNS on the router, use auto detect initially first. 

Also would set 40Mhz only channel width as well, Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What all do you have connected to the router, wired and wireless devices? 

Message 6 of 22
howmaybesgo
Aspirant

The SB8200 may cause service issues but it seems quite odd that the router isn't even showing devices that are connected, actually connected in the router interface even though it is assigning them IP's. And if it was a service issue from the modem, why would 1 device be able to access the internet but others cannot? Also seems to point to router when DHCP is bypassed with static IP's the devices are then able to connect with no issue.  And now not being able to even reach the router via IP but I can ping it? That couldn't possibly be related to the modem.

I'm not opposed to implementing your suggestions I am just pointing out that some issues seem to clearly point to the router.

Wired:
2 personal PC's
TV
PS5

Wireless:
2 work laptops
2 phones

Doorbell

Smart hub (google)
Thermostat

Cameras via hub

Printer

Note: I use an Asus router setup as an access point which is hardwired to the XR1000. Many of the wireless devices are connected to it.

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Well that's more information. 

What channels are the ASUS AP using? 

How close is this AP to the NG Router? 

Try turning OFF the AP as well, leaving the XR router running. I would do all this after a FR and setup from scratch. 

Possible the ASUS maybe causing noise and interference here. 

Message 8 of 22
howmaybesgo
Aspirant

It has been running this way since purchased in Nov '22.  This may impact wifi but how would the Asus be wreaking havoc on my wired devices that are directly connected to the XR1000? Maybe I am missing something but it seems as if you are focusing very heavily on wifi when I have been using my hardwired PC as the example.  Weirdly enough, the only device working this morning was a work laptop on wifi. 

May main concern is that all devices, including my wired devices were experiencing this.

Edit: Just unplugged the AP to see if wired connectivity would be impacted and it is not.  Still not able to access router. 

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

When you can, FR and setup from scratch. Leave the Asus AP off to help isolate while troubleshooting. 

Message 10 of 22
howmaybesgo
Aspirant

Factory reset complete.  A little hiccup during the reset process as the main light turned red but the router was not rebooting.  I had to manually power the router down and when it came up it was reset.

Upon reboot, before making any changes after factory reset, I was able to access the router via browsing IP from my personal computer.  It seemed all devices hardwired had internet restored regardless of device having set static IP or DCHP. Modem was not cycled during this process.

Updates to config per your request:

DHCP pool set to .100-.200

2.4 set to channel 6

5 set to channel 40

Guest network disabled

Firmware was latest (1.0.0.64_1.0.49, no updates during configuration)

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

And is ASUS turned off as well? 

Message 12 of 22
howmaybesgo
Aspirant

Yes, Asus is still off.

I am not seeing my PC on the devices listed in the XR1000.  I have it set to static IP .241 and verified when looking at ipconfig. This PC isn't even present in the device list on the router. Currently on the internet and this is the PC I am using to make all changes to the router.

I am also seeing a different PC that is also hardwired, pulling .3 from DHCP even though that is not allowed based on the pool you had me set.  That PC is set to DHCP.....

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would not set any static IP addresses on devices for now. Lets see if normal Dynamic DHCP addresses devices work and keep connected. 

Some static IP addressed devices i've seen may or may not be seen on the routers web page. Seen this before. Seems to be something in the DHCP service that some static addressed devices is not detected by the system. I also use this same schema and have some Statics outside the pool leaving all others inside the pool Dynamic and is seen by the system. 

Message 14 of 22
howmaybesgo
Aspirant

All devices are set to DCHP now.

My PC: Pulled new IP within the defined pool.  Now showing in device list.

2nd PC: Disabled the NIC then enabled. Pulled new IP within the defined pool.  Still showing in device list with an IP that is outside of pool and wasn't even the IP that it had pulled initially.  Original was .3 but it is showing as a connected device with a .4. The actual IP is is pulling is .100.

I have refreshed my connection to the router but no change in information displayed. 

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Might reboot the router or power it OFF with the PC for 1 minute then back ON. I would pull the power cord from the back of the PC to help ensure the NIC is fully getting cleared out. Sounds like the system isnt' quite updating the connections table fully. 

Message 16 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would recommend you assign reserved IP addresses to all the devices outside the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes. Then reboot the devices themselves. It's possible your PC is appearing on the Device Manager as a difference device name, double check all the names to see if you can match the IPs.
Message 17 of 22
howmaybesgo
Aspirant

All devices were set to DHCP and all ended up grabbing an IP within the pool.  The PC that had the .3 still shows that IP but it also lists the new DHCP lease IP under the device info on the router.

The issue I am now seeing is that my internet experiences what I would call hiccups.  Anywhere from 10 sec-10min where both hardwired and wifi devices lose internet.  I was at my personal PC (hardwired) the last time it happened.  I tried to pull up the command prompt quickly to run a ping to 8.8.8.8.  The ping was successful but internet also seemed to restore during my ping attempt. Similar behavior to the other day when I first started having issues.  Devices were disconnected and my PC would show online. No internet but could still ping 8.8.8.8.  

Something weird is going on with this router and I am about to toss in the towel.  Work from home, so I can't have flaky networking devices like this.

Added info: I originally thought it might be my ISP but I did contact their support and provided logs from the modem.  Nothing seemed to be off on the modem side. The similar behavior to when I first posted this, makes me think it is still the router.

Message 18 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That could be related to them trying to obtain more IPs, disable DHCP completely, then reboot the router, wait 2 minutes then re-connect the devices and they should only grab the IPs they've been assigned
Message 19 of 22
howmaybesgo
Aspirant

The devices that I have noticed the connectivity issues with are DHCP, only show 1 IP address in the device tab on the router and some of them aren't even capable of disabling DHCP on them. I think you are getting hung up on the 1 PC that I said still lists 2 IP's.  The devices I have been referring to while explaining this new issue are not that device and all have leases within the range .100-.200

The latest hiccup happened while I was at my personal PC (wired) and that is right next to me work laptop (wifi).  My PC stopped loading a video and I heard my work laptop disconnect from the VPN at the same time.  The TV (wired) in the living room also stopped streaming.

Why all of the sudden has the router started behaving like this.  Up until recently it has been ok and now all of the sudden it can't handle DHCP? So the resolution you believe is to set all devices on the router to static IP's? 

Message 20 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I meant disable DHCP on the router itself, there are some known issues with DHCP that is causing disconnects, most don't see the issue at all, others it can just happen but the workaround for the moment until a fix is to set the reserved IPs and for those who still experience it disabling DHCP altogether resolves it.
Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7