× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Terrible WiFI speeds

Stylz
Tutor

XR500 Terrible WiFI speeds

I'm hoping to find a resoltuion to the ridiculously slow Wireless speeds I'm receiving using this new XR500 gaming router. Here is my setup...

100d/100u Fibre ONT (Internet & TV)>XR500>Frontier Arris NVG468MQ router/gateway (coax for TV guide and VOD).

The wireless bands have been disabled completely in the Arris router and I've followed the Primary LAN-to-WAN directions (found here: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15992) step-by-step to setup the XR500 as my primary router. When my PC is wired to the XR500 ports I'm receiving my speeds, however, when I'm connected via wireless (laptop, mobile devices, etc) and run a speedtest using speedtest.net or megapath, the results vary terribily: sometimes I;m getting roughly 40 down/25 up, other times I barely break 10 down/10 up. This occurs on both bands, 2.4 and 5 Ghz. Here are the troubleshooting steps I've taken thus far...

Changed the wireless channels from 1, 6, 11 for the 2.4 and from 149, 153, etc.. for the 5 ghz band. Nothing increased using either. I've insured that QoS is disabled, sliders for bandwidth are enabled and on 70% (tried setting this to 100% but still no help). Tried setting and enabling a DMZ IP and assigning it on my wireless laptop but still not the solution. I've also tried a "LAN-to-LAN" primary router setup found here: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15993 but still no resolution. I'm at wits end. My next attempt is to purchase a dedicated MoCA bridge adapter and get rid of the Frontier router/gateway for TV all together. But before I attempt this, I'm hoping someone may have a similar setup or has ran into this before. All help is greatly appreciated.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're getting the speeds via a wired connection then there is something with WiFi causing it. Ensure that WMM is on in Advanced Wireless Settings, also try disabling Beamforming & MU-MIMO, if already disabled then enable them. HT-160 should be disabled also. It may also be worth logging in here: http://support.netgear.com/ and calling the 24/7 support number as they'd be able to help you very quickly: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 2 of 9
Stylz
Tutor

I'll test the settings once home and report back. Are those settings you mentioned on by default? If so, why would they need to be disabled? Usually, on most routers I simply change the default LAN IP, set my NIC MAC address for secure access, passwords/SSIDs of course, set an IP range and call it a day. I know this router is all about aiding with latency by restriciting game server distance, etc and that is the main purpose for my purchasing. But, I also purchased it in hoping it'd aid in "future proofing" connections once upgraded to 1Gbps fibre. Fingers-crossed.

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They are on by default. I'm thinking maybe your devices are not supported by those features. WiFi/Settings are not my area of expertise though which is why I recommend calling Netgear Support. It will absolutely support those speeds.
Message 4 of 9
Stylz
Tutor

Make sure to only enable WPA2-PSK (AES) for SSID security

Yes, WPA2-PSK (AES) is the security I use for both bands.

Have you enabled Access Lists?

No, I haven't enabled access lists. Regarding my comment on setting my NIC's MAC address, I simply meant that I choose "This MAC address" under Internet setup (see attached pic).

Also have a configured separate SSIDs for the 2.4G & 5G radios?

Yes, I've configured seperate SSIDs for both bands and I've disabled the SmartConnect feature.

Thank you for your response. I'm still receiving terrible wireless speeds and have tried suggestions. Different channel selections are also not solving the issue. Sort of at a loss. My previous Asus AC router provided phenomenal speeds at or slightly above my alloted speeds. I've tried full resets on the router and that has solved nothing but more wasted time. The wired speeds are great, but the poor wireless connection is causing me to have no option but to simply return the unit. Thanks again for trying. 🙂

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Instead of returning it without exhausting your support options I highly recommend you call Netgears 24/7 support line as they will most likely be able to resolve the issue.
Message 6 of 9
Stylz
Tutor

No. DNS IPs are provided automatically from ISP. I only have a static IP assigned in the DMZ for my PS4, which is hardwired. I disabled all settings that Fraser listed above and re-tested it again last night. Tried different wireless channels for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands. Hardwire provided the speeds I pay for 100/100. But wireless settings from both a Killer-N wireless NIC card in my laptop, as well as a speedtest on my iPhone maxed out at 24 down/17 up. Not sure what is causing the issue.

Only thing I can suspect is that I may have misconfigured a setting when following directions on setting the xr500 up as my primary router and putting the ISP router/gateway as only a simple MoCa connection for TV data. The XR500 and the Arris routers do have different LAN IPs assigned and DHCP is handed out only by the xr500. DHCP on the Arris is disabled, as is its wireless bands. I can't imagine what I'd miss as the directions were pretty strat forward. Found here: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15992

Funny thing is that I initially tried a LAN-to-LAN connection setup (found here: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15993) and it too provided way below average wireless speeds. I cannot come to a resolution. As of this writing my setup is

ONT>Ethernet>XR500 WAN (DHCP/Wireless/DMZ for PS4 enabled, LAN Static IP: 192.168.1.1, DHCP IP Range: 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.200)

ONT>Coax>Arris (Wireless/DHCP disabled, LAN Static IP of 192.168.254.1)

XR500 LAN Port 1<>Arris LAN Port 1

Again, QoS is set to only kick on when high traffic is found, PS4 is the only device to get max bandwidth when needed. Sliders are at 100% up/down. Tried 70/70 but not luck there either. 😞

Message 7 of 9
Stylz
Tutor

No. Default DNS supplied from ISP. No static IPs set except for a IP in DMZ for wired PS4.

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you contacted the 24/7 support line as suggested?
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7