× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 is not connecting with my NBN FTTC NCD

Jesse94
Guide

XR500 is not connecting with my NBN FTTC NCD

Hi Everyone,
I just got today my XR500 NightHawk,
I have a NBN FTTC connection so i have th NCD box to make me able to use it, before i bought the XR500 i informed my self by asking the seller if this router was compatible and i was told yes it was, but i cannot make it work in any way does anybody have a video or can explain to me how to connect the router with the NBN NCD box ??
In case you guys dont know whats the NCD i posted a picture below

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Hi Jesse, welcome to the forum!

So just to make sure, you've connected the GATEWAY port on the NCD box to the WAN port on the XR500? You've then connected to the XR500 either via ethernet or WiFi, and gone to routerlogin.net to run through the setup process.

At what point during this process did it go wrong?

Message 2 of 16
Jesse94
Guide

I've connected the gateway port to the WAN

Tried to connect via Ethernet and when i try to log into the www.routerlogin.net.  and when you have the option to use the Automatic setup it loads but  a message comes up saying that my modem is not powered on or the ethernet cable is not plugged properly.
Wifi option pretty much the same thing or i cannot connect tot he www.routerlogin.net. at all

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the ISP modem and XR router for 30 seconds. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Power ON the XR router afterwards.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Jesse94 wrote:

Hi Everyone,
I just got today my XR500 NightHawk,
I have a NBN FTTC connection so i have th NCD box to make me able to use it, before i bought the XR500 i informed my self by asking the seller if this router was compatible and i was told yes it was, but i cannot make it work in any way does anybody have a video or can explain to me how to connect the router with the NBN NCD box ??
In case you guys dont know whats the NCD i posted a picture below

Message 4 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As well as the above try accessing the interface using the IP instead which would likely be either 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 and see if you can finish the setup that way.
Message 5 of 16
Jesse94
Guide

I dont know how to finish the setup the 2nd light from the left is orange wont go white
Message 6 of 16
Jesse94
Guide

Before I bought this I was told that I dont need a modem only the Nbn NCD box I'm hoping I havent been fooled.
Message 7 of 16
Jesse94
Guide

This comes up when I do the automatic setup
Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You need a modem in front of the XR router. The router depends on a ethernet connection that uses DHCP or static IP addressing from the modem to get it's connection. 

@Jesse94 wrote:
Before I bought this I was told that I dont need a modem only the Nbn NCD box I'm hoping I havent been fooled.

Message 9 of 16
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

What were you using before you got the XR500? Was there a router in the place where the XR500 is now?

Is the NBN device definitely a modem?

Message 10 of 16
Jesse94
Guide

Before buying the xr500 I was using the modem/router plus the NBN NCD. Which is in the picture below.
Message 11 of 16
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Right so you just switched out your old router with the XR500, nothing else changed?

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

This will be needed. 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the XR router gets from the modem.

Try Option #2... with this modem/router unit. 

@Jesse94 wrote:
Before buying the xr500 I was using the modem/router plus the NBN NCD. Which is in the picture below.

Message 13 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Was the modem/router provided by your ISP? If so then it's not surprising that they may require you to have it connected. Add it back to your setup and if possible put it in modem mode or put the XR500 in its DMZ and then connect everything to the XR500.
Message 14 of 16
Jesse94
Guide

Yeah i managed to make it work but the only option that i had was to connect the router through the IInet Modem + the NBN NCD without being attached to the IINET Modem it wont work.

Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay thats fine, everything should work just fine with that setup!
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7