× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 losing settings after AC power loss

LrryPtter
Initiate

XR500 losing settings after AC power loss

This XR500 is plugged in an AC power strip, and when we want to turnoff the wifi on our kid, we just hit that switch button. Lately, in last month, on two times we shut down the AC main on this router, the settings were reset back to factory settings. I can restore the settings in few min, but is difficult for family, especialy my whife, when I am out of town, cause she doesn't deal with this kind of tech. Didn't use to have this effect, wonder if is related to .40 FW version?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a manual FW install. Load the FW file using IE11 or FF or Opera. 

Factory reset the router and setup from scratch. Do not load a prior saved configuration from file. Setup from scratch then save off a new backup configuration to file. 

Test the persistence of the settings by pulling the power from the router for 30 seconds, then plug back in. Does the setting persist thru the power cycle?

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

instead of killing power to the router anytime you want to shut off wifi for your child, you could just use the app to shut off wifi. Its pretty simple and quick to do even for a non-technical person. Your other option is to setup the guest wifi for just your child to use and shut that off from the app so you and your wife still have access.

This doesn't fix the initial settings problem but can help it from reoccurring. 

Message 3 of 4
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If you go the Device Manager you can click on a device and block it. This will prevent them from accessing the Internet

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7