× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 to replace Sky router on FTTP

Gidgriff
Guide

XR500 to replace Sky router on FTTP

Hi guys, looking to replace my sky Q router with the XR500. Has anyone done it? I have tried and it asks for generic logins from ISP which I found online but still cannot get it to work. Anyone managed to get it to work? TIA
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Go to the Settings page and the first page it gives you, Internet Setup, scroll all the way to the bottom and it should be there

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 23

All Replies
plemans
Guru

not to be promoting youtube but I found someone do the same with a tplink router. Might watch it and see what passes over. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgX40Zu_-yY

Message 2 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

Funnily enough I watched it this morning. Worked fine setting up an ASUS router but having serious issues sorting this XR500. Can’t even get it to connect to the internet. Ah well, might have to just call it a day with the XR500.
Message 3 of 23
plemans
Guru

Your in the standard router forum. the DumaOS guys are super responsive to help. @Netduma_Alex  I'll see if I can get a mod to move your post but I'd hold off on calling it a day until they've had a chance. 

For next time, the gaming router forum that runs dumaos is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-rout...

Message 4 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you know which details are required to get a connection? Does it use Option 61?
Message 5 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

Pretty sure it’s Option 61. But can’t even find that option on settings.
Message 6 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Go to the Settings page and the first page it gives you, Internet Setup, scroll all the way to the bottom and it should be there
Message 7 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

Found it! Wasn’t showing on the PPPOe section so changed it and I’ve found it! Thanks guys 🙂
Message 8 of 23

@Gidgriff wrote:
Found it! Wasn’t showing on the PPPOe section so changed it and I’ve found it! Thanks guys 🙂

Did it fix the thing?

If so, mark this as solved and you'll help any poor soul who lands here with the same challenge.

Message 9 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

Yes it did! Basically had to bypass the initial set up to get to that part. But all good!
Message 10 of 23

Excellent. Those hidden ones are the hardest to find and the most useful to flag up.

Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@Gidgriff wrote:
Yes it did! Basically had to bypass the initial set up to get to that part. But all good!

Message 12 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

Hi all, all was going ok until today. Something has happened, router lost connection this morning so I rebooted the router and since I’ve had awful latency issues. Went to game earlier and my in game latency was shooting up from 30 to 200-300 and then even up to 999!
Any suggestions or known fixes?
Message 13 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are your QoS Settings? Could you provide a screenshot of the page?
Message 14 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

Auto Enable
1000mbs - down
1000mbs - up
Both set to 95%
Will grab a screenshot today 🙂
Message 15 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

Message 16 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's quite a high percentage, we usually recommend starting off at 70%, see if that improves it.
Message 17 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

I’ll try 70%, but I wasn’t having any issues until yesterday and it was on 100% until then and nothing has changed my end.
Message 18 of 23
Dan-1985
Aspirant

Sorry to jump on this post. I have a xr500 and sky, is it easy too setup?, these nothing really out there to show exactly what to do
Message 19 of 23
Dan-1985
Aspirant

Sorry to jump on this post. I have a xr500 and sky, is it easy too setup?, theresnothing really out there to show exactly what to do
Message 20 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

Yeah was pretty easy in the end. Do it via laptop not mobile phone. When it asks do you require logins press no and then follow the steps above 🙂
Message 21 of 23
Gidgriff
Guide

I’ve plugged back in my Sky router, same issue there so must be ISP issue I’d assume?
Message 22 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that would indicate an issue on the ISP side, perhaps congestion in your local area
Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7